display driver for prman

12399   12   1
2 posts
Hi
I cannot have a preview of an operator when I'm building a shop based on a render man shader.
I have a error message saying
a) prman is not in your path (it's in my path)
b) install the latest display driver for prman

So where can i get the display driver for prman?
I have Houdini 7

Thank you
64 posts
here is what you need to do
http://www.odforce.net/wiki/index.php/PrManSetup [odforce.net]

I run protoinstal.exe and reinstaled drivers and now it works
hope it works for you
2 posts
Thanks zoki, it works just fine
64 posts
cool glad to help
10 posts
Hi there,

I've been having the same problem. I did as you suggested and ran proto_install.
It seems to have worked but now I'm getting this message “gzio: Invalid argument” in the console when ever I preview a prman shader or render using renderman (same thing I know). Does anyone know what this is about?
Thanks in advance.
12448 posts
When you ran proto_install, did the little test render pop up properly? Or did it never work?
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
10 posts
Actually the test render didn't pop up. But I did get a message saying that the installation was successful.
From what I can gather a large portion of houdini problems come from installing in a directory that has spaces in it (ie. D:\Program Files\Side FX) Which I have done. ops:
I'm just about to try a reinstall in a sensible directory. (Might reinstall renderman as well )
Will post to tell if this fixes my problems.
Cheers
10 posts
No joy. :cry:

Didn't really have any effect.
Same thing happend when I installed the display drivers. No test popup. It complained about a missing model and said that the install was successful.
Also I installed it into the houdini root (it gave three choices of directory) is this right?
I haven't tried moving renderman yet. (I'm trying to avoid that)

The problem isn't that major I can work with it but it would be nice to get rid of it.

Cheers
4140 posts
Off the top of my head, sounds like prman isn't in your path, at least the $PATH that Houdini is using. Should be a standard environment variable by that name with the prman path in it. Tends to be a problem with windows since most users don't use a shell as much as Linux users, thus it doesn't stand out.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
3 posts
i have the same problem, i install with proto install and when it ask me to add the mplay output i say yes, then i say yes to the output test and thre i get an error:

the error is related to the name spaces.

i say this couse the proto_intall tellme it cannot find program.exe that is not program.exe but program files directory.

so where can i set an env variable and which env variable should i set to create a working path?

mat
————
mat
7714 posts
Make sure that your RMANTREE environment variable is set to short path name without spaces.
3 posts
i tink in uderstand what is going on..
i installed houdini 64 bit on a win 7 64 bit os…

and when i try to run the prman 13.5 i cannot get the render in mplay..couse it is a 64 bit version….may be possible?

i would need a d_houdini.dll 64 bit compiled….i presume…

mat

thanks
————
mat
128 posts
Tou may get that display driver from 32bit houdini installation, I seem, it will work with 64 bit mplay. But, I think you may have troubles with in-application rendering, but it have to be checked.
Anything that flies
  • Quick Links