houdini 7 - new help browser

4998   5   1
412 posts
ok, so i seem to be missing something here with the new help browser in H7..
a couple questions/comments:

1.it says to use the “Find Box” to search for things.. Has this not been implemented yet? Because I can't seem to find it anywhere.. i see the find in page icon where you can do text searches, but not an overall help search..

2. Is there going to be a general “Contents” section? Something I can browse and look up any information about an OP or expression or whatever it may be? Almost like a site map of the whole help.

3. What happened to the PDF's? I don't seem to have them at all with H7. For now I'm just the ones i had from 6.*. Were the purosely taken out, and if so, are they going to be designed in to the help browser somehow?

4. One thing with the help cards that were in previous versions is that they were really quick to load. While I like the new interface of the help, it seems much slower than it was before. Plus, I think I would rather have it default to go to the “All” tab rather than the “Description” one when clicking on the help card of an OP. Just a thought…
Dave Quirus
52 posts
It seems like you are another unfortunate caught out by the hidden menu in the side panel thingy. If you hover your mouse over the right boader of the help pane a button strip changes to lilac - just press to expand. Most of your querys are answered there… not intirely sure about 3 though.
Staff
5156 posts
#3: The pdfs have been incorporated into the html help. If you open the contents, you'll see the sections Interface, Objects, Modelling,…. Utilities. These are the old pdfs. The nice part is that they're incorporated into the search system, making it much easier to locate a subject.
412 posts
hey, thanks guys.. completely oversaw that one.. shoulda known since houdini's interface has the tow away bars all over as well.

Might be nice to have it say that on the default homepage though for newer users.. If I were a new user I would have never thought to click there. Heck, I'm not a new user and didn't think to click there. I would just either mention it on the homepage or have it defaulted to being open when you launch the help. That way it's there and people will figure out on there own that they can tow it away and what not..

thanks again,
dave
Dave Quirus
Staff
5156 posts
Plus, I think I would rather have it default to go to the “All” tab rather than the “Description” one when clicking on the help card of an OP.

In the Contents pane of the help browser, there's a Settings tab. Change the ‘Operator help opens to’ setting to ‘All’ rather than ‘Description’. (Just found this option )
412 posts
yea, i saw that one but it didn't seem to affect it. the parameter stays to what i set it to, (i.e. All) but it still opens up at the description tab.
Dave Quirus
  • Quick Links