Houdini Apprentice HD no longer being offered?

20497   20   4
26 posts
I just clicked on the Houdini Apprentice HD sales banner link and it took me to a cart with the Indie versions.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download&task=apprentice&Itemid=208 [sidefx.com]
Staff
1182 posts
As of today, Houdini Apprentice HD has been replaced by Houdini Indie which includes all the same features PLUS:

- limited commercial usage instead of non-commercial
- FBX and Alembic out
- Ability to use the Houdini Engine
- Access to Houdini Engine Indie for computers that aren't running Indie
- can send jobs to Houdini Engine Indie computers using HQueue

Limits include:

- The annual gross revenue of commercial entities and contracting entities does not exceed $100K USD
- Commercial entities and contracting entities can purchase a maximum of 3 Houdini Indie and 3 Houdini Engine licenses
- Houdini Indie cannot be used in the same pipeline as commercial versions of Houdini
- Houdini Indie uses its own file format for saving scenes and assets
- It is restricted to 1920x1080 when rendering out animations

Here is the article announcing the new version:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2853&Itemid=66 [sidefx.com]

Existing Apprentice HD customers can now run Houdini Indie until their annual subscription runs out then a Houdini Indie subscription will be required.

At the moment hipnc files will not open in Indie but a file translator will be made available to Houdini Apprentice HD customers soon.

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
26 posts
Thanks for the update. Very smart move by SideFX! One more question: I noticed the rendering resolution limit is 1920 X 1080 for animations, I wonder if there's a resolution limit to a single frame rendering for an illustration.
68 posts
So close! No perpetual license, I can't support software rental for the hobbyist, Indie level. If SESI changes their policy like NextLimit, I and others are on board, until then I'll continue to learn and use HD11 for personal projects.
66 posts
$300 a year for a tool that you can use commercially of this caliber is more than fair. It's honestly far more than I was hoping for.

From the looks of it this includes upgrades for the year.

Another question about render resolution, is the size limitations of 1920X1080 in effect when baking texture maps?
636 posts
Lyr
$300 a year for a tool that you can use commercially of this caliber is more than fair. It's honestly far more than I was hoping for.

From the looks of it this includes upgrades for the year.

Another question about render resolution, is the size limitations of 1920X1080 in effect when baking texture maps?

the 1920x1080 limit is for animation. stills are unlimited. :-)

well one question from my side.

Does the Houdini Indie Engine has one Mantra Token with it?
181 posts
Neat. This aggressive pricing that permits commercial use will definitely make Houdini a more appealing solution to a wider audience.
66 posts
Yeah this craps all over Maya LT.

Good work Side Effects, you guys clearly understand the needs of game developers more than Autodesk. Which is funny considering how much less Houdini is used in games than Maya.
5 posts
Hello,

When is the license change for Apprentice HD users happening? Or how do one proceed to do that change.

Thanks!
4189 posts
It happens at the expiry of your HD license
5 posts
Doesn't that mean that then current HD users are not eligible for for Indie transfer? I haven't opened Houdini in some weeks, and today renew the license and still appears as Apprentice HD.

Sorry if I'm missunderstanding something.
4189 posts
Ah sorry - you can run Indie today on your current HD license.
64 posts
Note to Apprentice HD users: Houdini Indie replaces Houdini Apprentice HD which was only available for non-commercial projects. Houdini Indie will recognize Apprentice HD licenses and can be used under the limited commercial license for the remainder of the annual term.

So we just have to be patient.

edit: install latest production build. reinstall your Apprentice HD license and voilá
Edited by - Aug. 7, 2014 18:57:07
5 posts
Hey Edgar!, como estas?

Yeah, my impatience was my enemy, just had to install the latest build and reinstall licenses and there you have it, houdini indie.
35 posts
It would be nice if we can use our indie 3rd party render engines with this.
Renderman and Arnold support would be nice at least even if it still has the render size limitation.
You are actually alienating users that are looking at investing in these third party render engines.
64 posts
latest 3delight renders fine. Isn't limited to HD resolution and I'm not sure if will be limited in future releases, so I think HtoA and pixar's renderman will work too.

I'd like to know what are the plans regarding other renderers too!

@Oscar: Hola Oscar, nice to see you!
35 posts
Thanks for the heads up. downloading now!!
18 posts
rmagee
At the moment hipnc files will not open in Indie but a file translator will be made available to Houdini Apprentice HD customers soon.

Will this file conversion also be made available for non Apprentice HD customers?
I'm asking because I used the free Apprentice version (not Apprentice HD) during a workshop and while doing several Tutorials. Right now I'm strongly considering the purchase of a Houdini Indie license and I would of course like to be able to open my old “Apprentice” files and see the workflows that I used.
10 posts
I recently changed the name on my computer after reinstalling windows. Now my apprentice HD license is not able to be transferred in the license settings and I cannot fid the download version of indie. Any help on the topic?
7709 posts
I think you need to contact Support to get your license updated.
  • Quick Links