Houdini 14 Wishlist

134677   190   12
636 posts
not H14 related:

RFE Portal:
a public RFE Portal where every user can add or edit a RFE where they also have to make a proposal. incl. categories and voting system something like the orbolt hda request site but with more functions and requirements.
if the interest is there i can make a proposal with mockup's.

the reason is when there is a wishlist with over 170 post it gets hard to get all the wishes in a solid route.

Help System:
integration of community created example files in the help system in a additionally tag: Examples Community.

sounds a bit wired but a screencapture in houdini per default can help when you want to show something or if you want to make a quick example. (touchdesigner has one could be transferred?)

on screen pencil where you can tag problems in the 3d and image view or create sketch animations. (maya's grease pencil as a example)
453 posts
- My big wish is a big rework of everything that has to do with rendering:
https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=164077#164077 [sidefx.com]

- A fitRand function that essentially does:
fit01(rand( SEED ), NEWMIN , NEWMAX )

- A procedural face-rig (script) that would show how to procedurally generate bone chains.

- A procedural rig node, that generates bones based geometry. For example you would plug an L-system tree in there and you would get an exportable rig for that tree. ^^

- The option that Houdini Engine reads geometry copied with a copy-node as instanced geometry (and treats it that way in something like Unity). As far as I understand, packed primitves are a step in this direction or are even supposed to do that, but I haven't quite figured out how.

- And I sccond the community help file reference thing, from the post above.^^
258 posts
Adaptive Grids for Pyro and Flip
Head of CG @ MPC
CG Supervisor/ Sr. FX TD /
https://gumroad.com/timvfx [gumroad.com]
www.timucinozger.com
387 posts
DASD
Look at this how to add you own hscript fucntions, it's very easy:
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/expressions/_custom [sidefx.com]

DASD
- A procedural face-rig (script) that would show how to procedurally generate bone chains.

- A procedural rig node, that generates bones based geometry. For example you would plug an L-system tree in there and you would get an exportable rig for that tree. ^^
This would be (imho) better as orbolt request, as it's all already possible. You can use autorigs as starting point.
4495 posts
+1 RFE portal.

Even big companies like Microsoft started doing it for their products i.e. Windows, Visual Studio, MS Office, Windows Phone, etc. Autodesk does it too.

It shows which things are requested the most. It's so useful. Otherwise things get lost after being submitted a couple years ago. SESI knows but people don't necessarily see those requests.

Even in this thread we have no idea which RFE is the most wanted. Not to mention hundreds of people who don't post here.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
453 posts
pezetko
DASD
Look at this how to add you own hscript fucntions, it's very easy:
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/expressions/_custom [sidefx.com]

I was aware of the option. I am a little fuzzy on how portable this is. I suspect the definition would be only local on my machine and I would have to make it part of a digital asset definition to make it portable. It seemed to me, that many people must use something like this very often, so I assumed it would make sense to make it a basic expression, to save many people some tedious steps.

pezetko
DASD

This would be (imho) better as orbolt request, as it's all already possible. You can use autorigs as starting point.

Yes, thank you. I actually feel like a total noob for asking this, but how can I find the code that a shelf-tool executes? I mean, when I edit the shelf-tool I get the command, but I would like to see the full code that the command calls.
I guess it would be nice if the code were actually part of the helpfile (or linked in the helpfile) for each tool.
2 posts
i an chinese ,my english is very not good ,but i believe you can understand my meaning,haha
86 posts
My wish.

A Softimage style history pane for the Python Shell.
restposition.co.uk
2529 posts
I just imported 100 DAE files that were named exactly as I wanted them. However, after import Houdini has named them all sequentially like collada_scene01, collada_scene02. This makes identifying them in the network view impossible. :cry:

I wish Houdini would just name them a derived version of the original filename. Something like… collada_my_file
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
387 posts
Enivob
I wish Houdini would just name them a derived version of the original filename. Something like… collada_my_file

A little python script can do a lot :wink:
# import bunch of dae files from specified directory
# Petr Zloty
import hou, os

# directory path for *.dae files (back slashes for windows path)
dir = “d:\\_Sort\\DAE\\”

dae_files =[name for name in os.listdir(dir) if os.path.isfile(dir+name) and (os.path.splitext(name).lower()==“.dae”)]

# check for collada_scene object
new_node = hou.node(“/obj/collada_scene”)
temp_renamed = None
if new_node != None:
new_node.setName(“_new_temp_name_”)
temp_renamed = new_node

# custom prefix for new name
prefix =“collada_”

# import files from directory
for file in dae_files:
print(“importing: {0}”.format(file))
command = “colladaimport ‘”+dir+file+“’”
command = command.replace(“\\”, “/”)
hou.hscript(command)
new_node = hou.node(“/obj/collada_scene”) # find explicit name
new_node.setName(prefix+os.path.splitext(file).replace(“ ”,“_”), 1)
new_node.moveToGoodPosition()

# rename original collada_scene back
if temp_renamed != None:
temp_renamed.setName(“collada_scene”)

hou.node(“/obj/”).setCurrent(True, True)
2529 posts
Ah, thank you very much. I am going to give that script a try.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links