Any timeline for OSX 10.10 Yosemite?

3136   6   0
30 posts
I am delaying upgrading from Mavericks on my main iMac until Houdini specs mention Yosemite.

I have upgraded my MacBook, and did find the trick of running Houdini from the shell to get rendering to work - apart from that Houdini appears to run ok but I would rather not take the risk.

Maybe sidefx won't bother and make 14 work with Yosemite.

Any information?
175 posts
From Journal :

Wednesday, November 26, 2014
Houdini 13.0.608: Fixed various issues on Mac OSX Yosemite when launching Houdini from Finder or the OSX dock. Issues included failed licensing, unable to render with Mantra, unable to read and write .obj files, etc.
30 posts
OK thanks - I was on 604 so time to upgrade - at least I don't have to launch from the console anymore.

It is not clear from that release note if they have fixed all the problems - and the minimum requirements still say Mavericks - so I am not convinced Yosemite is safe
175 posts
I am using Houdini on Mac OSX Yosemite without any problems. What are the other problems that you mention ?
30 posts
tinyparticle
I am using Houdini on Mac OSX Yosemite without any problems. What are the other problems that you mention ?

Sorry being misleading. There are no other problems I am aware of. I am wary of moving both my machines to Yosemite when the minimum spec still says Mavericks.

You experience sounds promising though.

Having said all of this I am in the New Year thinking of treating myself to a new windows PC with a decent Nvidia graphics card to get a performance boost before I invest in Indie.
2528 posts
One thing to keep in mind is that GPU only really works with the smoke simulator (about 30% increase in speed), it does not boost flip sims or give you any rendering gains like Blender's Cycles.

I am new to Houdini, so correct me if I am wrong, but that is my personal experience as an Indie user with nVidia on Windows.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
4189 posts
Enivob
I am new to Houdini, so correct me if I am wrong, but that is my personal experience as an Indie user with nVidia on Windows.

The GPU/OpenCL speed up depends on the CPU/GPU combination i.e. if you have a great GPU then it can be very fast. You can also run a GPU for OpenGL and another for OpenCL.

Once you become more experienced in Houdini you can quite easily create clean OpenCL based sims that avoid the transfer of data back to ‘normal’ memory and the associated overhead.

Additional you can run OpenCL on the CPU which can be quite nice as memory is usually far greater on there.

Good luck!
  • Quick Links