Oh my god this is so much better

12735   37   2
378 posts
I usually don't get carried away so easy but H14 is an incredible leap.
There is so much improvement in the overall handling, the uv editor, a project manager, better selection and I didn't even play with the new dynamic features…

Keep going this way for two more releases and I switch to a full license.
181 posts
Indeed, Houdini 14 is a fantastic release. The UI refinement and revamped features are amazing.
45 posts
Did snapping and general modelling get any love?

The update looks awesome so far!
4189 posts
Yup snapping is snap-tastic now

Modelling is improved by the the loop/ partial loop selection toolset.
267 posts
Fantastic release - the speed is really amazing and i love the new viewport - Houdini is blazing along here in Linux Mint.

Thanks SESI

I keep selecting loops on a pigs face……!
Director @ Valkyrie Beowulf
www.vwulf.com
https://linktr.ee/neilrognvaldrscholes [linktr.ee]
237 posts
There are so many fantastic new improvements… How long did they developed on it? Amazing. Good Job.
80 posts
Looks so nice indeed, but it crashes every 20 seconds on my MacBook Pro !

For example : Just create a sphere, add a Surface material, hit render in the render view : immediate crash, 100 % reproducible.

I already reported to SideFx, but it is so brutal that I feel it comes from my config.

Is there anything special in this version that I should check ?

Many thx.
149 posts
Jerome Pastorello

For example : Just create a sphere, add a Surface material, hit render in the render view : immediate crash, 100 % reproducible.

I already reported to SideFx, but it is so brutal that I feel it comes from my config.

Many thx.

I also had quite a few hard crashes last night but didn't have time to isolate the procedure so I could reproduce them. I have an indie license, running windows 8.1 w gtx770 fwiw
136 posts
Jerome Pastorello

Many thx.

I played with it in Linux Mint and it crashed a lot. Then i updated the graphic drives and it's very stable. So i guess you need the latest graphic drivers, and a pro card(although looks much-much improved with game cards now). In the preferences pane for viewport you can no longer choose your OpenGL version so this might be the culprit with your mac(too old graphics card). All in all a fantastic release, i am still digging it.
379 posts
Jerome Pastorello

Many thx.

I use it on my MacBookPro for few hours had only one crash. And I can not reproduce that crash, renders fine.
267 posts
Me on Mint and it flies! I installed the cuda package from Nvidia which also installs driver 340 something or other, Which I suspect is helping houdini work really well. For example the standard drivers in the manager weren't good enough for Nuke. So anyone on linux get the cuda 6.5 install.

I don't know if cuda has any role in houdini but the nvidia package works flawlessly in getting you card set up.
Director @ Valkyrie Beowulf
www.vwulf.com
https://linktr.ee/neilrognvaldrscholes [linktr.ee]
1265 posts
Play with the new spray paint SOP…too much fun.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/nodes/sop/spraypaint [sidefx.com]
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
1265 posts
Can anyone tell me what the lazer select actualy does? How is this different from the “select visible geometry only” option?
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
80 posts
Hello,

Sorry, it was just a matter of OpenGL version, OS X 10.8.5 can't go beyond 3.2 and H14 needs OGL 3.3 absolutely. So I just had to switch to Yosemite (OGL 4.1) and all is working nicely.

Thx to Sidefx lightning fast answer.

This version of Houdini is just amazing and the french keyboard is working fine !(best feature ever when you need to type a backtick in vex…)

Thx for your answers.
Staff
5154 posts
Werner Ziemerink
Can anyone tell me what the lazer select actualy does? How is this different from the “select visible geometry only” option?

It's basically a macro for Paint selection + 0 pixel radius + Area Selection Visible Geometry Only, so you don't have to continually change those settings. You could do the same thing in H13, except with a bit more hassle.
120 posts
Werner Ziemerink

When I try to use the spray paint shelf tool on any geometry it always errors out and doesn't paint any points, what are the exact steps to make it work?
80 posts
mmm, still crashing every 5 mn whatever I do.

I see that the 3 OS X version options on the download section are giving the same file (10.9), is it normal ?
Is there a 10.10 archive ?

thx
J
4189 posts
Jerome Pastorello
mmm, still crashing every 5 mn whatever I do.

The only way to diagnose the crashes is by looking at the crash log and the steps you were taking. The crash log should be saved in the /tmp/ directory.

Also what are your computer specs? i.e. graphics card. H14 did not like the old GeForce120, 512Mb that came with the cheese grater mac pro. Probably not enough Ram

Edited: clarity
1265 posts
josh3light
Werner Ziemerink

When I try to use the spray paint shelf tool on any geometry it always errors out and doesn't paint any points, what are the exact steps to make it work?

not sure why you are getting errors.
I place a grid, jump inside the node and ad a mountain SOP (just to test). With this selected I can use the shelf tool (or connect it myself) and paint away…no problem.
Once I am happy with my points, I can connect any other geometry(lsystem) as second input and untick the “visualize spheres” option.
Instant forest creation without any geometry placement overlap.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
80 posts
Thx Marty,

My card is a GT 650 M, it supports ogl 4.4 on Yosemite.
16 go of ram (was enough to run H13 very well, isn't it enough for H14 ?)
The machine is a 2012 retina macbook pro.

thx a lot.
  • Quick Links