Credit where it's due

4116   9   0
246 posts
I've been pretty vocal in the past with regards to a number of past interactive viewport shortcomings and I have to say that H14 is a giant improvement here - not only is the snapping mechanism light years ahead of what we had in H13, but the pre-selection highlight scheme is also a welcome improvement.

Kudos!
Staff
5156 posts
Thanks stu!
1104 posts
You are so right Stu ! and the new wireframe mode…my oh my, it's so sexy I can sit and spin stuff all day and get nothing done.
/M

Personal Houdini test videos, http://vimeo.com/magnusl3d/ [vimeo.com]
166 posts
It feels like a whole new software in regards to the viewport. Soooo much better, it feels fresh, clean, nice and soft. I like it a lot. Great work!
Staff
5156 posts
MagnusL3D
You are so right Stu ! and the new wireframe mode…my oh my, it's so sexy I can sit and spin stuff all day and get nothing done.

Haha, funny - I wrote it, and did the exact same thing once the prototype was complete it was a feature I wanted to incorporate into Houdini since work on 12.0 started.
69 posts
I wholeheartedly agree! Wow this is a huge improvement in so many ways! So much more fun and easy to get serious modeling done. Not to mention great Sims. Really like the glue network tab tweaks.
249 posts
The interactivity is a massive improvement.

Using the blendshape sop it felt faster but using a attributeVOP to accomplish the same task, 30k poly object had no problems. And i suspect it will be faster still with a wrangle node.
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
136 posts
It's a massive improvement. More so when you look at the competition! Let's not forget few key improvements into animation(the huge addition of animation layers) and improvements into mantra surface node(new GGX mode for metalic surfaces, additional map inputs, etc). All in all it's a huge step over previous version. I read a lot of complaints regarding modeling, so whenever i will have some free time(ha, a luxury) i will model something and post it all over forum. I think as it is right now the tools are very good. I would like to see a single new thing: ‘match transformations’(maybe it's al ready there, so sorry in advance if it is). But let's not forget that this are PROCEDURAL MODELING TOOLS. Ok, so a big THANK YOU to al developers and SESI for this much effort into improving what is already a wonderfull application. And not last, a big thanks for listening to users…
249 posts
Also some very nice work with the hair shader. Very pleased with it. Just a very quick test.

Also very fast, this was raytraced.
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
379 posts
Yeah A LOT great improvements in H14, thanks SESI!
  • Quick Links