Crease SOP

3192   2   2
87 posts
First off, I would like to apologize for my attitude. Second, I would like to know if this is possible as a SOP. It would be kind of like the Polysplit SOP but it would be a little bit more complex. When you started the split it would start just as a point like usual, but on the second edge you clicked on it would lay down three points and connect the outside two to the first point so you would have a four sided poly. On the next click it would start laying down three parallel lines (at a preset width depending on the intensity of the crease) and inset the middle line at a negative depth to the normal. according to how deep you want the crease. When you RMB'd to finish, it would finish the crease off like it started, (drop the middle point and fuse the two outside lines to one point.

I wouldn't know how to go about creating this as an OTL because Polysplit changes every time you use it.
710 posts
Hi harlequin, not sure if this is possible as a SOP, probably with the HDK. Would be nice to have though. You can just use Polybevel but it requires more clean-up work and SOPs.

Staff
2540 posts
Polybevel can do nice edge offsettting with the right parameters set:

Bevel Type: Corner
Inset Type: Absolute
Repetitions: 1

Doesn't handle the ends as you would want but there are two nice things that happen that could help to make this in to an HDA: The start and end points don't change. Actually none of the points along the edge change and keep the original point numbers. This is due to the “Corner” option. This means that the sequence if pictures by DaJuice would not need the edit SOP to pull by normal back to the original edge.

The major stumbling block to turning this in to an asset is the Group SOP. It is not able to feed in the correct syntax to the PolyBevel SOP. When you select edges with the Group SOP, it immediately toggles to Primitive mode. No good.

Secondly if I feed in raw points in to PolyBevel, it doesn't know what to make of it as there is no edge connectivity info (the p10-12 syntax). Where are those edge groups at?

After that it is a simple procedural chain of events to find and fuse the start and end points based on 2 times the edge bevel distance (Fuse SOP set to snap on lowest number) and finally dissolve the first and last edge of the original selected edges. Actually dissolve before fuse is better.

It took me no longer than 5 minutes to do the prototype. It is just that edges are poorly supported as grouped entities in Houdini 7 and 8. This makes my life difficlut building poly tools in HDA's.
As DaJuice said, this is only “nicely” handled in the HDK.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links