Houdini to Maya animation export (alembic)

7807   2   3
6 posts
Hi,

I am trying to export animation from Houdini to Maya using ROP Alembic. The exporting process itself went fine however the geometry imported to Maya is broken.
What I did was I created a pattern using a trace sop, extruded it and created a cookie then animated the delete sop to get I crack spread effect. Apart for minor bugs (like deleted primitives) it works fine in houdini. I've uploaded the screen shots of geo looks before export in houdini and after import in Maya.
Anybody knows what the problem might be?

Thanks for any help!

Aleksandra

Attachments:
Screenshot-1.png (141.6 KB)
Screenshot.png (131.5 KB)

258 posts
Just looking at the screen shot I can see that your geo is not going to be export friendly. Without a file, I have no idea what is going on but here are a few suggestions for prepping your files for exporting geo int Maya via alembic.

1. Your geo is kind of a mess, at least throw a divide sop to tri-divide.
2. Make sure you have a a facetSop with post compute normals if you have no normals.
3. Fuse your points, and add a vertexSop if you need to cusp an angle(Smoothing Angle)
4. If you need groups, you will need to to use a nameSop to name by group.
5. Set the alembic type to HDF5
6. If you need groups, set partitioning type to “By Attribute”, and type in name for the attribute.
7. UV's need to be class vertex
8. Delete any un-needed attributes

Hope that helps, I do this all the time, so I know it works, but cleanliness helps.
6 posts
I've followed your tips and it worked. Thanks so much!
  • Quick Links