Popup Help Missing

7182   11   3
17 posts
I am quite heavy into the popup help, forever hovering my mouse over things to see what they are being a new user learning in my free time.

having been working through many tutorials that use expressions and built in functions, I can hover my mouse over names in the parameter window and a black box popup appears telling me what it is.

I have watched a few tutorials where typing a function into a parameter shows the help popup with the function name and its required parameters. for example “prim” as shown in the attached image.(snapped from a video tutorial)

https://www.sidefx.com/files/popuphelp_847.jpg [sidefx.com]

This help popup does not show for me, I tried the edit menu “tooltip help” and under scipting in preferences “context sensitive popup help” which didn't work, maybe its a graphics driver issue as I use 3 monitors on windows 7 with the parameter window torn off?

I have also noticed sometimes while typing an expression the cursor will hang and stop me typing like its paused trying to do something and releases after a few seconds.

I'm using the latest free version of houdini 14

Thank you for your help.

Attachments:
popupHelp.JPG (20.8 KB)

443 posts
Edit > Preferences > Scripting
turn on “Context Sensitive Popup Help”
17 posts
Appreciate the quick reply but as I said, I have already tried that and for some reason it does not work for us with this current version of Houdini 14.
4 posts
also assuming this never got fixed, I've emailed SES and have a ticket out for this but its the ONLY ticket to never have a solution or response posted back at all. Is there any update from anyone about this (what i assume is a) bug?
319 posts
Logged this as a bug a couple of days ago. SESI responded saying they are trying to fix…

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=37444 [sidefx.com]
143 posts
Please, I have the same problem. Has anybody found a solution? I am running the latest build 15.5 on windows 8.1
3 posts
I am having the same issue on 15.5.480 Indie, but it pops up for a millisecond, then disappears.
Brahman
7733 posts
480 is super old, have you tried a more recent version?
28 posts
18.0416, no pop-up help.
7733 posts
Pop-up help is working in 18

Attachments:
help_popup_cropped.png (93.6 KB)

28 posts
jsmack
Pop-up help is working in 18
Yes, somehow I got it working, cant remember how :-) thanks
7733 posts
itaibachar