RBD / POP clustering?

2732   3   2
32 posts
Hey Guys,

I've been playing around for a while trying to come up with a good recursive fracturing system with no luck.

I had a thought of using pop controlled RBD fractured chunks that are initially just a bunch of small pieces constrained together but by pops somehow. I thought maybe pop grains could work but wanted to ask if anyone knows a good way I could release chunks at will & eventually end up with 3 or 4 levels of fracturing.

P.S I've tried to this with regular RBD's and constraints but run into problems with the name attribute & trying to create a bunch of constraint levels.

Any help would be great! Cheers
Kind Regards,

Ben
Staff
2540 posts
Deforming geometry that progressively fractures initially and then those fractured chunks undergo successive fracturing?

The first part is the tricky bit as you need to interrogate your incoming deforming geometry and then cut it up in to sizeable chunks, deforming over time. Pre-cut and deform is the idea.

Once this is in play, you introduce rbd objects point by point in to the sim which at that time, freezing their deformation and cull that piece from the reduced deforming collider also feeding the DOP sim as a deforming collider.

Google Searches:
“fracture deforming geometry houdini”
“houdini progressive fracturing”

Interesting link here:
https://vimeo.com/65238554 [vimeo.com]

Once the pieces are cut and in DOPs and you get the deformation handoff of rbd pieces in to DOPs going, you can hijack the Voronoi Fracture Configure Object DOP to progressively fracture the pieces as you will. This tool is designed to work with bullet rbd impacts or meatballs, but the logic is all “SOP Solver” so you can unlock the asset and add your own trigger logic if you find hijacking attributes doesn't work.

Or use carefully placed meatballs in the deforming rig to blow your pieces about and to trigger sub-fracturing if you want to use the Voronoi Fracture Configure Object DOP in stock form and enable the use meatball option.
There's at least one school like the old school!
32 posts
Thanks for the info Jeff, will read up on this!

Because I'm new to Houdini I probably simplify things in my mind and try to figure out what's needed to make this work.

I was thinking, all I want it to say keyframe the voronoi fracture in sops at frame 0, then 20, 30 etc. creating more fractured pieces then have DOPS read this updated geo back in and perform the sim on those pieces.

Will definitely keep digging and will post any updates. Thanks again Jeff
Kind Regards,

Ben
32 posts
This is kind of the effect I'm after only it would be great if I could somehow release the second set of fractured geometry so they break away from the initial chunk movement they're following. I realize the only reason it's working currently is because the name attrib stays the same, never the less I thought someone may have another idea to expand on this. HIP attached.

Thanks.

Attachments:
basic sim.hiplc (245.7 KB)
frac.mov (2.0 MB)

Kind Regards,

Ben
  • Quick Links