Tutorial Request for Baking Animation

8344   6   1
221 posts
I would love a tutorial on how to create animation in houdini on an asset, bring it into Unity, bake the animation, and use it as an animation clip.

This is probably obvious to regular Unity users, but since I'm mostly a Houdini user, I'm still getting used to the Unity editor.

Dave
402 posts
As long as you only have animations on OBJ transforms and no deformations, you can use the existing “Bake Animations” tab in the asset Inspector.

You set the Start Time and End Time for the portion of the animation you want to bake. You can also change the Samples Per Second if you want more or less accuracy.

Pressing the Bake button (the one under Bake Animations) will cook the frames for the time range you requested and create Unity-side animation keys for each frame. You can then play back that animation anytime in Unity (and in your game) without the need for Houdini Engine being live.
143 posts
Hi Damian,

I am attempting to do what you said here but I can't get it to work. I have a very simple cube that has a transform on the OBJ level. I then created a digital asset out of the cube at the OBJ level (I did not dive inside, create a subnet of the sop and then create a DA inside the OBJ). I brought the digital asset into Unity and I cannot see the animation. Exporting it as FBX does indeed yield the animation. I can't seem to find a decent tutorial on how exactly to get this done. It would be great if someone could give a simple outline on how this should work. Should the keyframes go in the first set of parameters in the picture below? Or in the second picture's parameter set inside the subnet? Also what are the limitations of the animations. Can SOPs be added and then have their parameters animated and then baked inside Unity? Or do only transformation keyframes work (scale, rotate, translate)?

Thank you

Attachments:
here.PNG (132.8 KB)
orhere.phg.PNG (110.6 KB)

221 posts
I'm interested in the answer to your question, Damian. Thanks for posting it.
402 posts
As I stated in the previous post, only OBJ-level animations are support. SOP deformation animations are NOT supported in Unity.

What I should have been clearer about is that the animation has to be WITHIN your asset. You cannot animate the position of your the asset instance itself in Unity.

Now, I'm not too sure I understand what is going on in your screenshot so I'll just outline the setup from scratch:

OBJ Subnet <— This guy should be your asset node.
___OBJ Box <— Animation should go on this guy.
______SOP Box
221 posts
That's clearer. Thanks for that.
143 posts
Yes great thank you
  • Quick Links