Hair in Houdini.

17594   18   3
87 posts
Either get a way to do hair that equals “shave” or put a better description in the help files than; “the hair vop is totally cool, YOU FIGURE IT OUT” I have never seen a more vague description of a way to do something before in my life.
4140 posts
Guess you don't get out much.

Here, I'll paraphrase the help for you…which seems to be different than the one you have.

I threw down a Stanford Bunny and a Line SOP. Shrunk the Line down to a distance around 0.01, followed that with an AttributeCreate SOP. In there, I put “width” into the Name Field(like the help says) and put a value around .0001 into the first entry of the Value field. Fed that into a Copy SOP, using the bunny as a template into the second input of the Copy. Ensured Rotate to Normals is turned on.

One Hairy Bunny. Want more hair, throw a subdivide after the Bunny's File SOP.

Made a quick VOPs shader, threw down the Hair VOP, fed it's colour to the output, assigned that to the bunny. I assume you know how to do all that.

J.C.

I'll stop with the sarcastic responses when you stop with the aggressive, rude tone of your opening messages. And lacking Mario's patience, if you don't get this first go, no I'm not going to walk you through it endlessly to have you snidely remark “I couldn't figure it out so I dumped it”.

Where's Jim with his puppy pictures again? Ahhh, there it is….
John Coldrick
87 posts
And which help file are you refering to? I did a search on “hair” with the help browser and all I got was a lame explaination of the hair vop
12457 posts
If you take a little time to do just a little research, you'll find complete hipfiles with very advanced hair shading on odforce. I agree the built-in docs don't hold your hand through this, but any decent artist or TD will attempt to find out how to do something like this through research and experimentation.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
87 posts
I did a search of hair tutorials and the ones I have seen all look like hair produced in Blender v1.7 I am wanting to make hair for humans and not bunnies. Superman is my latest project and I really don't want him to look like “Shaggy”
12457 posts
But thats up to you, isn't it? The hair grooming is up to you and so are selecting the settings. Did you try it? Can we see some attempts?
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
279 posts
You mean the Superman movie?

No offense, but if you're working on a high budget Superhero movie, then what are you doing asking low end questions in a free software forum? Nevermind the fact that Houdini is not exactly known for it's hair solutions, meaning that you would have to build your own (as others have done).

So I have a couple of suggestions for you.

1. Buy the software and speak directly to SideFX, they're wonderful at helping out paying customers.

or failing that

2. Buy 3DS Max and invest in the Shave and Haircut plugin. It's probably exactly what you would need.

It seems that you're willing to put more work into your attitude than you are your actual paid jobs. A bunch of people have developed nice hair solutions in Houdini and are willing to share some of their knowledge (and not give the thing away for free) as is shown here and on od. If you're willing to actually be patient and never presume that you're owed something by the community then you would likely get much further than you are at the moment.

Cheers
Marc

edit: Don't worry, I dug through your posts and found what you're working on…. carry on. Nothing to see here everyone, move along now. :roll:
Edited by - May 17, 2005 16:26:54
4256 posts
JColdrick
Where's Jim with his puppy pictures again? Ahhh, there it is….

Someone say puppy?

(Adding the rest of the fur is left as an exercise for the reader)
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
87 posts
MarcH

edit: Don't worry, I dug through your posts and found what you're working on…. carry on. Nothing to see here everyone, move along now. :roll:

No, I didn't mean the Superman movie. And to tell you the truth, I have been to your portfollio and, well, nothing to see there either, move along now. :roll:
639 posts
harlequin
MarcH

No, I didn't mean the Superman movie. And to tell you the truth, I have been to your portfollio and, well, nothing to see there either, move along now. :roll:

Well, at the very least he is a well respected person and holding a well respected job at a high profile studio. And you, Shawn? What do you do?
279 posts
Now now, no need to get insulting. I wasn't commenting on the quality of your work, I was rolling my proverbial eyes at my comments that came before.

But hey, keep up the good work, your method of making friends is interesting to say the least.

M
87 posts
TheUsualAlex
harlequin
MarcH

Well, at the very least he is a well respected person and holding a well respected job at a high profile studio. And you, Shawn? What do you do?

Well, what I am doing is trying to learn Houdini. I don't work at a high profile studio like March and I fell pretty good about myself because my begining work is close to par with his.
87 posts
MarcH
Now now, no need to get insulting. I wasn't commenting on the quality of your work, I was rolling my proverbial eyes at my comments that came before.

But hey, keep up the good work, your method of making friends is interesting to say the least.

M

I apologize for the comments about your work. I took a closer look at your comment and just missunderstood. As for making freinds. I have seen the arogant comments that Jcoldrick has made to other beginners in this forum and it looks like I am in very good company.
I am willing to start on a new page if that would be acceptable.
I will try Jcoldrick's suggestion on the line sop. Will post my results later.
Staff
181 posts
Jim! We need more puppies!!
87 posts
Jcoldrick's suggestion worked but in order to get the amount ot hair that would be on a humans head I would have to subdivide to the extent that would crash my machine. I will play around a little bit more though. How can I copy lines to a face to have those copies all over the face and not just copied to the center or the verts?
Edited by - May 19, 2005 16:20:31
279 posts
try using the scatter sop.
175 posts
When we are at the scatter SOP…how to add correct normals (perpendicular to the input polys) to points it produces?
I first thought to try for myself, but as the subject arouse I can't hesitate asking

Peter
279 posts
The scatter SOP will inherit normals from the geometry it's scattered upon. Make sure the base geo has good normals (facet, comb etc.).

M
175 posts
So that was the problem, I just noticed that I have to add point normals using point or facet as you wrote, because the initial geometry doesn't have them at all.

Thanks M,
you saved me some time
  • Quick Links