Help With PC Specs

5676   17   2
10 posts
Hello Everyone ,

I am trying to build a computer for using Houdini , and iam really confused between choosing some parts , that would perform good with houdini With no Problems .

So kindly help me to choose between the following

First : CPU

1- AMD FX-9590 Vishera 4.7GHz Socket AM3+ 220W Eight-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition

2 - Intel Core I7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor

Second : VGA card

1-SAPPHIRE TRI-X R9 290X 4GB GDDR5

2- MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G GDDR5

3 -Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC 4GB GDDR5 Windforce 3X

4 - SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC

5 - SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 TRI-X STD WITH BOOST (UEFI)

Regards

Ahmed Hesham
1391 posts
everyone has different oponion and experience about hardwares , someone say ATI is good and someother say nVidia is good, (Just search it in the Houdini Forums).

and in my oponion :

1. CPU : you should always buy Intel ,

2. VGA : you should always buy nVidia (GTX 960 is great and GTX Titan is the BEST !)

3. RAM : for complex Dynamic simulations you need at least 32 GB of ram

4.Storage : SSD drives are great for caching large simulation files , you can move your Houdini's Temp directory to SSD too

8)
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
10 posts
Thank you alot for your reply

After alot of searching online i decided to go with Intel I7 4790k and an Nvidia Card .

But now iam confused between GTX 960 & GTX 970 . is there will be a great difference between them ?

Regards
175 posts
The performance difference between 960 & 970 is about 25% so you should decide depending on your budget.
As for CPU, never ever buy AMD for 3D related tasks.
10 posts
Hello

Thank you all for your replies and your advice . i did as you said

i got the Intel i7 4790k & GTX 970

and they are working great with houdini .

Thanks again
4493 posts
There is an issue with the GTX series' latest drivers that makes the viewport blank on Flat Wire Shaded mode. What's the safe driver version for this not to happen? I thought it was because Nvidia screwed something when tweaking the drivers for the latest games.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
136 posts
pusat
There is an issue with the GTX series' latest drivers that makes the viewport blank on Flat Wire Shaded mode. What's the safe driver version for this not to happen? I thought it was because Nvidia screwed something when tweaking the drivers for the latest games.

I have a Quadro card and zero display issues. I don't know if Quadro and gaming have different drivers, but mine is just perfect with the latest two driver versions. This is why i dumped gaming cards in the first place, and it's a night and day difference in all pro apps. What Houdini version and what card are you using? Maybe roll out drivers to a previous version.
10 posts
Hello ,

I'm using ubuntu Linux , and iam using the driver version 346.59 from nvidia-346

and i have no complains with it from now .

and for the Quadro , i believe that they are more professional cards and their drivers are tested and tweaked very well . but they cost alot .
1391 posts
The_White_Wizard
Hello ,

I'm using ubuntu Linux , and iam using the driver version 346.59 from nvidia-346

and for the Quadro , i believe that they are more professional cards and their drivers are tested and tweaked very well . but they cost alot .

Yoop , Quadro cards are so great and professional , But as you said they are expensive , I working with GTX Titan , it's cheaper than Quadro , It think Titan after Quadro is a good choice :idea:
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
10 posts
Is there is a way to test or benchmark my machine on Houdini ?

Like Get its maximum performance ? Rendering and simulation ?
4493 posts
Constantin X
pusat

I have a Quadro card and zero display issues. I don't know if Quadro and gaming have different drivers, but mine is just perfect with the latest two driver versions. This is why i dumped gaming cards in the first place, and it's a night and day difference in all pro apps. What Houdini version and what card are you using? Maybe roll out drivers to a previous version.

H14 GTX 970
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

4189 posts
pusat
There is an issue with the GTX series' latest drivers that makes the viewport blank on Flat Wire Shaded mode. What's the safe driver version for this not to happen?.

347.88 works very well on Windows.
4493 posts
MartybNz
pusat
There is an issue with the GTX series' latest drivers that makes the viewport blank on Flat Wire Shaded mode. What's the safe driver version for this not to happen?.

347.88 works very well on Windows.

Ok I will install that one.

136 posts
pusat
H14 GTX 970

You have a great card, you should not have issues with it. Maybe try a different driver.
136 posts
The_White_Wizard
Hello ,

If it's not broke, don't fix it. If it works for you don't try to change it. Just work with it and that's it. I changed my gaming card only when scenes become too complex for it. Good luck with your rig.
10 posts
Hello ,

I am actually facing a problem with it about Open Cl , For some Reason i get an error every time i try to use open cl .
136 posts
The_White_Wizard
Hello ,

I am actually facing a problem with it about Open Cl , For some Reason i get an error every time i try to use open cl .

Hmm, have you tried other Linux distros? Maybe some Mint or CentOS? From what i know nVidia and OpenCL are not very good friends. You also might want to check the OpenCL libraries on your distro. Sorry, i can't be of any help on here as i don't know anything about Linux and OpenCL.
10 posts
Thank you Constantine ,

I resolved the problem of the open CL

I would Like also to thank Marty he helped me a lot on the OdForce Forum ,

The idea was just to install the driver downloaded from Nvidia website .

And now iam working on Linux Mint , working very smoothly
  • Quick Links