Bad Alembic export, RBD Objects with wrong orientation

3265   3   1
3 posts
Hi, Im having a problem exporting an RBD Simulations of a ton of boxes (candys) in Alembic. The target is Maya but the problem is on the houdini side.

I have 6 emitters made of RBD Point Objects. I have 6 object merges in one geo node and there I have a ROP Alembic Output. When I import the alembic I exported the position of the boxes are correct but their orientation is worng, and changeing from frame to frame. (this doesnt happen before the export).

The objects are packed geometry, I think, and if I use an unpack node before exporting the alembic works fine, but has a size of tons of GB and is practically useless.

If I export the sim as bgeo, then read the bgeo and that to alembic it still fail. (unless I use the unpack node)

Any help or orientation would be great.
Thanks in advance and let me know if you dont understand something.

I could upload a hip file but its kind of a mess since is importing others alembics for the sim. I would make a simple one reproducing the error if I can. Thanks!
443 posts
Maya reads pack primitive well. There might be problem with your alembic importer in Maya.
3 posts
Thanks, but the problem appears also when I import the alembic back into Houdini.

I noted that the problem doesnt appear when I export only current frame to alembic.
3 posts
Im still not sure about what happened but I found a way fix it.

This appears to be an error that occurs when I object merged all the emitter together before exporting.
The solution was export the alembic from the out context selecting the objects individually and not merging them.

Also feels like a bug or something but again Im not an expert.

Have fun!
  • Quick Links