How to Collapse Channels?

7894   13   1
527 posts
In the channel chooser how do I collapse the tree to show only scoped channels? I noticed the show only scoped channels button in the channel list pane; however it seems to have no effect along with its corresponding hotkey.

Houdini 7.0.464
WinXp Sp2
QuadroFx 1100
soho vfx
7710 posts
With your mouse in graph mode, you should be able to hit ‘i’ for isolate.
527 posts
I dont understand what the isolate command does/ how it works. :?

What im looking for, I believe use to be assigned to the “b” key(houdini 5.x - 6.x).
soho vfx
Staff
1072 posts
In the channel list pane, if you bring up the RMB menu you'll see that you can choose top open three different gadgets in the pane:

1. Group List
2. Channel Chooser
3. Parameter List

#3 replaces the brief mode ('b' hotkey) from previous versions in that it only ever shows the scoped parameters (channels).
527 posts
I guessed as much… :roll:

The problem is that with only 6 objects, the channel chooser list gets mighty long. So one can picture how insane it would get with a characer rig in the scene let alone shaders, geometry, particles etc.

It would be handy to either view the chooser tree in brief mode or allow the trimming of scoped channels in the param list.
soho vfx
412 posts
this, to me, is where channel groups really come in to play.. right now my rigged character has all sorts of channels going on.. but they're all stuck in to their appropriate groups that have a heirarchy to them.. unless i need to add or remove channels from the groups, i never even have the channel chooser open.. just my group list and their appropriate scoped channels in the param list.
Dave Quirus
527 posts
I agree….

My original concern was centered on that it would make it more difficult to create channel groups. Until I found out you could drag and drop selected channels from the param list. (The create channel group hotkey does not respect what is selected in the param list however the drag and drop does).

It would still be very handy to have a brief mode for the channel chooser in the future as navigating long list like that are not fun. RFE me please! :wink:

ps. what is the function of the isolate command?
soho vfx
412 posts
yea.. i agree that i think there could be some work done to the channel editor as well (even though i feel it's the best one out there to date).. while the drag and drop is the way to go for adding, i wish there were a much easier way to remove channels from groups. i.e. select a channel that's in a group and be able to remove it from the param list rather than having to hunt it down in the channel chooser.. and i would agree that bringing back the brief mode for the channel chooser isn't a bad move.. while the param list is great, i don't see a reason why you would take away the brief feature since you need the channel chooser on occasion (such as removing channels from groups as stated above)..

as for the isolate command, i have no idea what or where you guys are talking about. sorry
Dave Quirus
527 posts
Removing is easy with the + - and = hotkeys for the channel groups… but the only awkward part is that it doesnt respect the selection in the param list. Which is why I wish there was a brief mode for the chooser. If there was a brief mode, I wouldn't even have to use the the param list window at all.
soho vfx
412 posts
yea, that's what i was trying to get at.. but i would just rather be able to use the hotkeys based on my selection in the param list..then i could just completely disregard the channel chooser..

kind of the same thing, just flipped around for me..
Dave Quirus
Staff
1072 posts
The old brief mode had several issues because it would limit the display to only the scoped channels and yet allowed you to change that scope. It became very easy for the gadget to lose track of the state.

In 7.0 we introduced the idea of a “display flag” to the scoped channels. The parameter list always lists all the scoped channels, but it can be used to display only a subset of those channels in the graph.

The recommended workflow for changing the scope is, as deecue suggested, to use channel groups. In the next version you can add/remove the displayed channels from a channel group, making it easier to set up the channel groups using just the parameter list. I don't believe that there is any plan to introduce the brief mode to the channel chooser.
7710 posts
Sorry for the late reply. To isolate a channel, select some keys in the channel editor and then choose Isolate from the pane menu. It then un-displays all non-selected channels. To go back, you can choose Un-isolate. I realize now that it's not quite brief mode though.
1631 posts
I believe the Brief mode is still very useful so SESI should re-consider implementing it again. Maybe it's only for

Though the Display flags could be more useful if one could click & drag across the flags to toggle them rather than individually clicking to toggle which is not very fun if you have a large number of channels. Please add a “Display Selected Only” option, not just “Display All” or “Display None”, when one Ctrl+RMB in the Parmeter List.

Edward, the Isolate option is not available when you Ctrl+RMB in the Graph Editor but in the Graph menu. Could I RFE for the option to be added to the Graph Editor's Ctrl+RMB?

Thank you very much!

Cheers!
steven
Staff
1072 posts
stevenong
Though the Display flags could be more useful if one could click & drag across the flags to toggle them rather than individually clicking to toggle which is not very fun if you have a large number of channels. Please add a “Display Selected Only” option, not just “Display All” or “Display None”, when one Ctrl+RMB in the Parmeter List.

You can put the parameter list into display mode using the RMB menu, and as long as you are holding CTRL, you can just brush across the labels. As for the “Display Selected Only” option, I believe that the idea of selected channels is being revamped (if not entirely removed) for the next version.
  • Quick Links