Fire sim crashes Maya

3246   5   2
183 posts
Sorry for all the posts lately. I'm trying to get a Houdini Engine pipeline up and running with very little time.

Okay, so I have two computers with Houdini Engine Indie, Houdini Indie, and Maya 2015. Computer #1 has dual processors and 32 gigs of ram. Computer #2 has 1 i5 and 12 gigs of ram. I have a digital asset that contains a basic fire sim (fire exploding from sphere using the shelf tool), when I load the asset on computer #1 it runs with no errors. However when I load it on computer #2 it says a fatal error has occurred and crashes. My original guess is that this was a resources issue for some reason, but the task manager doesn't show any peaks in ram or cpu usage. Any ideas what might be causing this?
818 posts
If you try it with a very simple pyro sim, does it still crash?

If the asset doesn't output volumes, does it still crash? You want to make sure the fire sim still runs in the asset though. For example, connect the volumes into a box to just output a bounding box.
Andrew / アンドリュー
183 posts
The sim I tested was a basic shelf tool applied to a basic sphere, which I'm guessing is what you mean by simple. As an odd side-note the torch sim asset found in the orbolt store didn't crash computer #2's maya but it didn't display any geometry or volumes (it worked fine on computer #1). Assets that don't include a pyro sim seem to work fine on both computers. A couple tests I have yet to do is see if I can load assets that produce volumes at all, and see if including any type of simulation causes the same error. Unfortunately I won't have an opportunity to test further until Monday…
818 posts
Are both machines running the same versions of Houdini and Maya? i.e. Maya 2015 and Houdini 14.0.395? Outputting volumes is only available in Maya 2014 and up.
Andrew / アンドリュー
183 posts
Sorry I haven't been able to post in a while. To answer your question, yes, they are both Maya 2015 and they both are using the latest stable version of Houdini, although one computer is running a 30 day trial version of Maya.
818 posts
As a sanity check, on the i5 computer, can you check if the asset runs the pyro sim properly in Houdini itself? It should be good enough even if you try it in Apprentice.
Andrew / アンドリュー
  • Quick Links