nParticle Cache and Engine license

2714   3   1
45 posts
Hey Andrew,

I am trying to cache the nParticle I load using the Engine. This will crash Maya every time. The idea is I want to blow away the Engine once the particles are loaded in Maya.
Is it possible?

Also, another question:
Is there a way to prevent the Engine from taking a license if all the Engine nodes are hidden?
I want to create assets with the Engine in them, keep it hidden most of the time and only unhide and use the Engine from time to time so it doesn't take a license every time you load a scene which contains Engine nodes.
Any thoughts?

I am on version 403.

Thanks a lot!
818 posts
Afeigin
I am trying to cache the nParticle I load using the Engine. This will crash Maya every time. The idea is I want to blow away the Engine once the particles are loaded in Maya.
Is it possible?

Are you exporting Cd, Alpha, or pscale point attribute? There was a crash related to that, and it got fixed in 14.0.404.

Afeigin
Is there a way to prevent the Engine from taking a license if all the Engine nodes are hidden?
I want to create assets with the Engine in them, keep it hidden most of the time and only unhide and use the Engine from time to time so it doesn't take a license every time you load a scene which contains Engine nodes.
Not right now. There were some initialization issue preventing this before. It would be useful though. Let me see if anything has changed since.
Andrew / アンドリュー
45 posts
I don't have any of these attributes. Just points with a custom attribute.
I'll give the new version a try see if it fixes the crash.

Thanks a lot Andrew
818 posts
If you're not using one of those mapped attributes, the fix in .404 probably won't help. I did a test in .403 using a custom attribute, but I couldn't reproduce the crash. Is it possible for you to post something that can reproduce the crash? This could just be a bgeo with a single point that has the same attributes.

I also took a quick look at delaying the asset instantiation (i.e. delaying license checkout), but there are still a few difficulties. One issue is that, after the scene has been loaded, Maya still tries to evaluate the output mesh even though it's hidden, which would result in computing the asset. It's possible that the plugin is setting up something wrong, but I'll have to look into this another time.
Andrew / アンドリュー
  • Quick Links