Weird Viewport Shading in Mac

2625   4   0
1 posts
Hi there I'm kinda new, I just installed in MacOS and I get all my geometry very Dark… If I add a light, the Light kinda behaves backwards, the surface close to the point light is dark, and the surface away from the light is lit.

Also, if I add the Test Geometry of the rubber toy, it appears black, I can change the viewport display to Disable Light and it shows now the flat texture, and it kinda looks ok but Flat… if I do that with other geometry, like a Sphere, I Lose all the 3D shading and I get a flat white circle (or square from a cube).

I have a
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)
MacOSX Yosemite version 10.10.5
Intel Core i5 2.3 GHz
8GB DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Attachments:
Captura de pantalla 2015-10-09 10.50.33.png (684.0 KB)

2529 posts
Don't expect much in the way of viewport support on OSX. It looks like you are running Houdini on unsupported hardware. The Intel Graphics Chip has been abandoned.

Try playing around with some of the Display (D key when mouse is in viewport) settings, however. Especially the Effects tab.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
99 posts
That was fixed in OS X 10.11
2529 posts
I think you missed the machine specs. The Intel HD3000 is below spec and not supported. I have a HD4000 and nothing has been fixed. I even saw a post today where a developer mentioned that SideFX can not even leverage the new Metal in EL Capitan because it is below their OpenGL spec.

I wonder how C4D and Blender do it, however…? Their viewports work fine.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
5156 posts
Enivob
I think you missed the machine specs. The Intel HD3000 is below spec and not supported. I have a HD4000 and nothing has been fixed. I even saw a post today where a developer mentioned that SideFX can not even leverage the new Metal in EL Capitan because it is below their OpenGL spec.

Metal itself looks like it might work for Houdini, but the OpenGL ES to Metal translator mentioned in that post can't be used, because OpenGL ES 2.0 isn't OpenGL 3.3 (it's sort of a weird subset of GL3 with aspects of GL2).

The HD3000 doesn't actually support all the GL3.3 features in hardware, as it's only a GL3.1 part. Apple will drop to its software renderer to handle any non-accelerated GL3.2-3.3 codepaths, so you can look forward to seeing the beachball quite frequently.

I wonder how C4D and Blender do it, however…? Their viewports work fine.

They most likely use the legacy GL2.1 profile. I don't know of too many pro apps on OSX that use the core GL profile like H14 does. Different bugs for different profiles, I guess.

This lighting issue on Intel is fixed in H15, though (using a shader-based workaround).
  • Quick Links