Houdini 15 release date?

14577   32   4
67 posts
It was released yesterday… in another dimension… that's how advanced H15 is.. I'll be running it on my quantum computer!
13 posts
To day is the day or what? Im trippin im trippin
8 posts
Maybe the 15 means just 2015 so it will be released by the end of the year
10 posts
If i jump right into indie will I be able to install and use 15 too? Or am i stuck to 14 then?
And can anyone tell me why I didn't start learning Houdini earlier? Its such a mighty brainbreaker (in a good manner)!
70 posts
With regards to transitioning from 14 -> 15 I would also like to know what the situation is.
96 posts
The Houdini Indie license is basically a “pure” AUP license. Meaning you do not have a regular standalone licence (as in, if you stop paying, it'll stop working once the yearly license runs out). On the plus side it means that you have access to all updates, always. Meaning: yes, once 15 comes out, your 14 license will work for 15. At least this was how it worked during the 13 > 14 transition.

This, of course, is just an educated guess.
3 posts
So I suppose its not today either? As a prospecting customer wairing for 15 to buy my first licence, I must say it is a bit offputting the lack of communication and marketing this company seems to have. The facebook page isn't updated regularly, the website hasn't got any special features or release informations about H15, the forum looks like it was designed in the early 2000's…come on, I mean, for a software with 5k licences and top of the industry, TBH I expected a bit more. And yes, it's the awesome program that counts, but in this day and age a streamlined communication and marketing strategy is not only essential but so easy to achieve Anyway, just my two cents. Now back to be impatient for the actual release
33 posts
Bobthebuilder
I must say it is a bit offputting the lack of communication and marketing this company seems to have. The facebook page isn't updated regularly, the website hasn't got any special features or release informations about H15, the forum looks like it was designed in the early 2000's…come on, I mean, for a software with 5k licences and top of the industry, TBH I expected a bit more. And yes, it's the awesome program that counts, but in this day and age a streamlined communication and marketing strategy is not only essential but so easy to achieve

I'm not sure it really works that way. Houdini by its very nature is a package that you're likely exposed to through professional channels in the first place (or crazies like me constantly eulogising about it until it bores everyone to tears), rather than glitzy marketing campaigns.
I assure you, while the marketing might not be the most dynamic, when it comes to support, SideFX are one of the most responsive and helpful developers in the market. If you have a problem, they'll work it out… if you find a bug, it'll actually get fixed! Without even having to wait for the following year's version! (Imagine that, Maya users! )

As has been pointed out, an Indie license or standard license with a support package will carry across between versions anyway, so there's no real need to wait until the release. That said, I can appreciate the OCD need for neatness… I'd probably wait too :-P
Dan Wood
Vortex VFX Ltd
617 posts
Maya user wont get the bug fix even after the year.

maybe we have 15 months in this year?
149 posts
Yeah, last year I purchased an indie license about a month before the 14 release and when that came around I was emailed new entitlements so I doubt that procedure would change.

Now to play the waiting game :wink:
184 posts
Bobthebuilder
So I suppose its not today either? …

Give them a chance to get out of bed at least

What SideFX lack in shiny marketing they more than make up for where it counts; product. Just hang on in there, the nail biting suspense is always worth it.
3 posts
VortexVFX
I'm not sure it really works that way. Houdini by its very nature is a package that you're likely exposed to through professional channels in the first place (or crazies like me constantly eulogising about it until it bores everyone to tears), rather than glitzy marketing campaigns.

I know what you mean, I got evangelized by watching Peter Quint's videos and the friendly and enthusiastic community were a real motivator to learn Houdini. I'm sure the support is also great, always read good things about it, which is a big plus indicator for prospecting new customers

Edit : Yay, it's out along with updated tutorials, awesome!
12 posts
Wow, what a monster release. Thanks sidefx team!!!
  • Quick Links