SESI website theory

4144   6   1
20 posts
So. Sometime ago, I made a post [sidefx.com] suggesting that SESI website should be updated. Turns out, a new website is under works as I was kindly pointed to a forums thread [sidefx.com] asking for feedback on what people would like in the new site. That thread was created back in April/May; around 5 months have gone by.
The sneak peek video said that Houdini would be released in October so when London “launch event” was announced, people thought Houdini would be coming out on October 5th. That date came and went without a release. I am guessing that many were confused by this as some one created a thread [sidefx.com] about it in the forums. Then, the Product Marketing Manager at SESI, Robert Magee had an interesting reply:
rmagee
The H15 product launch is not happening on October 5. The event was called a launch event but it is more of a preview event. Houdini 15 will be formally launched very soon. We promised October in the sneak peek and there is a clue in the version number ;-)
It is clear from that reply that Houdini 15 will release in 6 days on October 15. That's all fine and dandy but there has been no sign of Houdini 15 on SESI website. I mean there was that one post about splash screen contests but nothing else–no marketing material or a feature list.
This is where my theory comes in and tries to connect the dots. Hey, maybe I'm imagining thing but its still fun to come up with theories. I suggest that the reason there isn't anything on SESI website is that they are working on the new website which will launch on October 15, the same day Houdini 15 will launch. 5 months should be enough to build a website, I think.
I don't know, I could be completely wrong. In any case, excited for the new release and can't wait to try it out.
PS: I've got way too much time on my hand this month.
12 posts
It's always been like this. I think they call it Tantric marketing. No premature leaks and when you least expect it there is a big release.
636 posts
well website takes time specially if the make a big change and when you have a lot of connection with your backend systems.

well that with the release that can happy sadly the wording was not good selected with “launch”

whats also to see houdini was some time ago just a tool for the med and big studios. the big ones don't need sneak peeks and all that marketing stuff it's the small ones that it needs. so it will take some time till there are some changes…

btw: there is a RFE system you can give them some feedback for there marketing department :-)
Staff
1182 posts
Sorry to say but the new website is not planned for the H15 release. There is a lot of backend work to do and we will want the community to beta test it before we make the switch. We have some great ideas for focusing the website on the community first and foremost and have the right team in place to make that happen.

We released the Houdini 15 sneak peek video (https://vimeo.com/135607909 [vimeo.com]) at SIGGRAPH to let you know what the main areas of improvement would be in the new release. There is also a great video from Ubertage with Scott Keating talking about the VFX tools (https://vimeo.com/140505036 [vimeo.com]). Of course there is lots more that R&D has cooked up but that will have to wait until the 15th ;-)

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
20 posts
Ah well.
33 posts
Krolik
… I think they call it Tantric marketing.
lol
I must say, ultimately I find it far more fulfilling than regular, instant-gratification forms of marketing.
Dan Wood
Vortex VFX Ltd
1 posts
Hello there,
I Am an Houdini instructor, I would like to know How many Houdini users around the globe? and How much the user percentage has increased down the years? is there any survey that I can access.. Kindly Help
  • Quick Links