Staff
3455 posts
…might be useful
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1192 posts
Congratulations for the new look and the new logo (even if I'll miss the stingy Houdini logo…)

The first “bugs”, now: in some places paragraphs end suddenly, like here [sidefx.com]

Also, the “key features” column on the right is inconsistent. For example, the “Characters” entry is displayed only on some pages. Speaking of characters, the Character rigging page displays Available in: Houdini Select, which is not true?

That's it for now…

Dragos

PS Speaking of the new look, is there a KTM motorcycle hidden somewhere at sidefx?
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
412 posts
ok, i've got a few things to mention.. (using firefox 1.0.4 on win xp sp2 for reference)

first off, i definitely like the new look overall. the updated logo is 100x better in my opinion. it's strong and robust like houdini with a simple and elegant mark contained inside a box that expresses flexibility within a structure to me.. really well done..

the orange carryout through the site i think is fine and i like the boldness, but i feel like it clashes with the blue styled forums. not just color wise but style as well.. for example, as i'm writing this sentence i can't help to ignore the 300pt “FORUM” twitching the upper region of my eye sockets.. not fun.. and i have to agree with JC on the previous thread about the 800pt column.. i agree that it's a solid way of creating sites (i know i've designed a good number of them that way), i just don't know if it works here at the forums.. much more scrolling and less readability IMHO.. plus the blue and orange don't work well.. comes across chaotic.. i think the column style over at odforce may work better because it seems to be more integrated in to the theme and color use of the rest of the site.. plus they are soft and warm colors that i think make going through that more comfortable.. here, i'm begining to feel rushed and on edge (which may be a good thing since i should probably be getting back to work)…

another area i think the column design hurts is at the exchange.. i really liked the layout of the exchange before but now it's a little too tight and somewhat hard to navigate for first time users.. i know what is what because i've been there before, but the listed column of links on the right comes across as somewhat intimidating.. i think decent icons representing the different sections may help smooth that out somewhat.. that or divvy up certain things in different areas of the exchange.. some links belong in that column, maybe others layed out on top of the otl's in a horizontal format.. i dunno.. as far as a technical issue on the exchange: i can not click-scroll in the column section.. only on the outside of it.. haven't had this problem anywhere else on the site..

on the products pages (master, escape, etc), i would like to see links to the other products in the right column like they are on the features pages (rigging, rendering, etc).. that way i can easily switch between seeing the differences of the products.. now i have to go up to the products drop down menu and select.. i would also like the key features on the right to only list the ones available for that specific product. as it is now, all the products have the same list of ‘key features’..

the site as a whole seems very “word-y”.. i don't think you should cut out some of the text, just compliment it with more example images throughout the body to break it up as opposed to having this huge body that people will take first glance and say ‘yea, maybe later’ under their breath.. a good example of this is the apprentice page.. give more examples next to your descriptions.. entice people to really download that thing and try it out.. also, the features pages are awesome.. i love the screenshots.. customizable layouts.. shooting off all these things at once.. it's great.. but you have one of them.. at the top.. then a bunch of text.. so i think keep it going.. put a couple smaller images throughout the text visualizing what you're saying.. from a marketing standpoint, it gives more of that wow effect that helps so much..

tutorials… ahhh! hopefully they get there soon.. and if not, just include a link to the old ones until you get it up and running…

phew.. i think that about all i have to say.. still think the new look is great and the main page is rocking.. also, i'm sure you guys have done a good amount of research to make the choices you made, so take what i say as much as you want.. this is just coming from my experience when i designed interfaces and sites for clients in the past..

awesome job guys..
Dave Quirus
1192 posts
Every time I try to download something from Exchange I get the message “File does not exist”.
Firefox 1.0.4 on XP SP2

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
www.dragosstefan.ro
412 posts
oh.. i just forgot a big one that's annoyed me for years.. you guys keep mentioning sidefx.com when it doesn't really exist.. only www.sidefx.com has worked for me (and driven me nuts as well)..
Dave Quirus
139 posts
digitallysane
Every time I try to download something from Exchange I get the message “File does not exist”.
Firefox 1.0.4 on XP SP2

Dragos

Thanks for the catch - does it work for you now?
412 posts
Also, the “key features” column on the right is inconsistent. For example, the “Characters” entry is displayed only on some pages.

huh.. that's odd.. my key features is the same throughout everywhere.. and characters is on everyone of them..

where are you seeing that it's not?
Dave Quirus
121 posts
the new site is really nice! Congratulations

Just some quick notes, on the journal page, the links to the product pages and mailing list archieve are not updated.
Also, when writing a post, the “view more Emoticons” link does not work in firefox.
1192 posts
Exchange works now.

@deecue: I don't find it either. It seems I was wrong…

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
www.dragosstefan.ro
325 posts
Whaaaat? SideFX has come upon a word “marketing” and “promotion” in a vocabulary?! Oh my! What is happening to the world?! Is houdini going to stop being an esoteric_cultist_for_rockets_scientist_only software?! Oh my…

P.S. I agree with deecue about the blue and orange colors not matching well togather? Have you thought about changing the blue forum color to lite grey, for example, or making the blue warmer a bit?
I liked the Mustang
Staff
3455 posts
Character Rigging section:
the entries for :
Capturing techniques
Painting Capture Weights
Capture Weight Blending
are all identical
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1192 posts
After spending some time on the site, I have the following observation: the main menu on top seems too thin. It becomes lost between the Houdini logo and the big titles. Maybe some more padding on top and bottom will make it stand out better?

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
www.dragosstefan.ro
412 posts
btw, i just tested to see if the click-scrolling issue on the exchange was a FF thing, but it doesn't seem to work in IE either…
Dave Quirus
1192 posts
RFE: Please add RSS feeds to the forum (or to the whole site as well).

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
www.dragosstefan.ro
412 posts
oh right.. another note: floyd gillis' work is incredible.. nice choice sesi. good to see things like this being done and incorporated in to the site..
Dave Quirus
344 posts
If you try to hit the downloads page without being logged in it throws up a crytic php error, probably would be better to have a message telling people how or where to register log, in.

Mozilla 1.7.8 on Redhat 7.3
344 posts
BTW, blue and orange actually do go together. If you draw a color wheel they are opposite each other. Designers use opposite colors for strong emphasis. My complaint is that really I'm used to seeing the multicolor logo and associate blue and purple with Houdini for some reason. Kind of miss it, but I think this looks pretty good. This board could use something other than the default color scheme though.
77 posts
I.E. 6.0.2800

Clicking on anything in the menu column on the right, doesnt' do anything.

I'll go download firefox and see if it works with it.

Mike
77 posts
Weird, now it's working in I.E.
77 posts
When I try to login I get an error.

So I click on ‘register’, and as soon as I do that, *THEN*, my previous “failed” login attemp, magically shows that I'm logged in.

Mike
  • Quick Links