Align Viewport to Object's axes?

5455   8   0
337 posts
Is there a way in Houdini o align the viewport to an object X, Y or Z? like in XSI?

The construction plane seems like it could be it, but didn't find an option that did it.

Am I missing something?

Thank you.
1755 posts
I'm very interested in this feature as well. I use it a lot when doing hard surface modeling and I'm wondering if there's a feature like this in Houdini. I wanted to propose it for a long time now, but I said to myself that I should probably wait till more urgent things get taken care of.
337 posts
Well, worst case scenario… are you able to right now copy the pose of the object to to the viewport camera like you can in XSI with Save and Load Preset?

Or do a Match All Transforms?

Cheers
1755 posts
Match transforms has been introduced with H15 (small icons near the transform value boxes), but I don't know how to or whether you can access the viewport camera in Houdini. Also there's no "transform all' command as of yet, you'd have to match pos and rot consecutively. It would be quite a chore.
Staff
3455 posts
submitted as RFE #71912
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1755 posts
Thanx
8)

BTW, LMB on ‘x’ icon aligns on +X and MMB, on -X; idem for the other axis.
4189 posts
Yes - it's a bit hidden- you set to ‘Hide Other Object’, view tool then Y key, or top right blue ball menu. See gif/.hip file.

Attachments:
Align.hipnc (61.6 KB)
AllignHideOther.gif (193.1 KB)

337 posts
MartybNz
Yes - it's a bit hidden- you set to ‘Hide Other Object’, view tool then Y key, or top right blue ball menu. See gif/.hip file.

Many thanks. For anyone reading, you have to be inside the object for it to work.
And because of this I would consider this more like a Transforms toggle. Where you see the object in Local Space and not world due to ignoring the Transforms.

What is being asked is more like posing a camera according to an object's axis. I would even like to do it according an object's polygon, which you can't in XSI, unless you align a null first to a polygon and then the camera to the null.

Cheers

PS: One little detail I noticed your scene opened in here with the same BG you have in your image. But if make “New” or open a scene of mine it changed to teal color I set. Opening your scene back it sets he BG to black again. So even though I've set that color in a config file the BG color is saved with the scene? Just minor detail. But was curious.
Edited by - Oct. 23, 2015 09:23:54
1755 posts
I can't reproduce this in a new scene (I am at SOP lvl) and even if I could it's way too convoluted compared to one mouse click.

edit: managed to reproduce it, but that doesn't change my above stated opinion
  • Quick Links