Houdini on iMac Retina 5k

15863   23   4
14 posts
I have an iMac 5K with 10.10.5 on it, and Houdini fails to install with “The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance”). I submitted a bug over a week ago.

Anybody else having problems on iMac's, or 10.10.* ?
1 posts
Hi! Does anyone use Houdini on an iMac 2017 (i7 4,2 ghz, Radeon pro 580, 16 gb Ram)? Is it enough to deal with simulations? Maybe there is more experience in the meanthime, since this thread started in 2015 and the iMac may have improved a bit.
I'm thinking about getting this system and I'm mainly an Adobe Suite user, but i'd love to dive into Houdini!

Thanks!
85 posts
Hi,

If you bump up the ram to 32 or 64 and get the biggest ssd for it you can afford (>=512Gb) it's quite great as an generalist machine. The issue is overheating, and you'll need an external thunderbolt ssd drive for sim data probably at some point. It is surprisingly well optimized and stable, however if you decide to go H only nothing beats a custom linux rig.

Cheers!
8 posts
No doubt about the display but i would suggest you to go for a higher RAM for flawless experience.

Regards,
Adrian Gates
Graphics Designer
Edited by chrism - Sept. 19, 2022 11:36:56
  • Quick Links