Particle Morphing with new POPs

4958   4   2
36 posts
Hi guys,

I am just trying to follow the CMIVFX tutorial on Particle morphing and I was wondering if anyone could help me out doing it using the new POP network. The first problem I am facing is that the in dops I can't create attributes anymore (not with the old “addattribute” I mean). So it has become pretty tricky to do the simplest things like just importing positions, velocities. I know I can do that using a POP VOP but I can't figure out exactly how.
Could anyone take a look at my file and point me to the right direction?

Much appreciated

Attachments:
particle_morphing_v01.hip (358.8 KB)

36 posts
Mmm…is my question totally weird or just too boring to give it a go?
1736 posts
I came to houdini as of v13, so never used the old popnet stuff. Emulating maya style goalPP has been at the back of my mind for a while, seemed a good time to try it out.

Attached a scene, seems to do the trick. I used the pop steer seek forces, using a pop wrangle to set the weights from the pig to the toy. Added notes, hopefully its all clear.
Edited by - Nov. 3, 2015 06:33:01

Attachments:
pop_goals.hip (450.3 KB)

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
36 posts
Hi mestela,

thank you very much for the script! Everything is clear and organized, wonderful.
It all works even if I have different point numbers between the pig and the toy.
So now the only thing I need to do (after studying your script ) is to slow down the particles when they reach their goal position.

edit: also I am planning to have the objects moving while performing the morph and as for now the particles don't seem able to reach the new shape all at roughly the same time if the objects are moving. Another challenge that I hopefully will solve

Again thanks for your help!!

P.S. I'll try to post something here when I make something nice out of it
36 posts
Ok, I've been playing with mestela's setup all the day and here's what I think:

- Using steering_seek pops works lovely as long as the object doesn't move/deform. What happens is that the particles keep travelling in order to reach the moving points without actually sticking to them so the result is a jiggly wobbly behaviour. Can't match a man running and a flying bird for instance.

- I can't seem to be able to drive the morphing in POPs with an attribute created at SOPs level. I know this may sound very simple to many people…but to me is getting annoying D:

I am stuck again, anyone knows his way around this problem?

Check the file attached and thanks everyone.

Attachments:
particle_morphing_v06_fg.hip (373.8 KB)

• Quick Links