Dripping in POPs

2858   4   0
183 posts
So I have been working on creating a blood splatter tool and am stuck on how to get realistic looking dribbles on the wall like in this video…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2v404Lxc8c&list=PL2Onw7I36aWj11IdMMz_OrfFXUcj0aa5S&index=1 [youtube.com]

While I can get 90% of the way there on my own, the part that is stumping me is how to implement particle attraction so that the streams are drawn together and flow into one another. While I suppose I could delete a dribble particle once it finds another dribble, I would prefer to constrain it to the other's path until it either reaches the end or gathers enough momentum to break free. Any ideas here would be super helpful.
696 posts
I'd ray some curves onto your wall, and use an ends sop or creep particles to get that effect.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
183 posts
While I understand how I could use curves or creep to make drips that stick to the wall, I don't know how that would solve the trickle merging issue which is what I am trying to solve. Basically I need to find a procedural way to make it appear that the trickles are drawn towards each other and then merge on contact rather than just flying past like the current attract pop does.
696 posts
Say you have a series of curves. They criss-cross because they were placed arbitrarily (though I'm sure you could make an l-system that isn't arbirary).

In this event, I'm sure you could use a foreach loop to take a look at the curves one by one, and trim them so that they merge together in the event that they criss-cross.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
183 posts
Gotcha. I was considering that option, although I think I will try to implement something in POPs first before heading down that route since in the long run having a full particle solution would be convenient. Thanks for the idea though.
  • Quick Links