Houdini doesn't appear to be utilizing installed gtx960?

2980   3   2
48 posts
Hi there

So i've installed a 4gig gtx960 into an old dell t3600 3.6ghz quad core xeon with 32gig ram.
i've set the houdini env variables as below

set HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICETYPE=GPU
set HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICENUMBER=0

But when I run my fluid simulation which is using a particle fluid solver I see no or very little activity on the graphics card monitor.

Do only certain solvers use open cl? OR am I missing something here?

Thanks
Nigel.
Staff
809 posts
nigelgardiner
set HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICETYPE=GPU
set HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICENUMBER=0

The first step is to check About Houdini..| Show Details and make sure the OpenCL device is listed. Or with H15 run:

hgpuinfo -c

in a command-line shell to get the same information.

nigelgardiner
But when I run my fluid simulation which is using a particle fluid solver I see no or very little activity on the graphics card monitor.

Do only certain solvers use open cl? OR am I missing something here?

Only certain solvers use OpenCL, the main ones being Smoke/Pyro, Grains, and FLIP for pressure and viscosity solves. But you generally have to enable Use OpenCL on the solvers, often under the Solver or Advanced tab.
48 posts
I've checked show details and the card is listed there.

I don't seem to be able to find any check box for enabling open cl in the particle fluid solver so I guess that means in this case the gpu is not going to be of much use?
1 posts
There is a check box for open cl in flip solver you can find it under volumes nd the last folder named as solver..I guess this is what you ver looking for.
  • Quick Links