FBX Export Skin weights, skinning to Maya/MotionBuilder

5934   4   2
45 posts
Hello you wonderful people!

I am having issues with getting my skinning data to transfer properly(it is not showing up at all) to Maya/Motionbuilder. It feels like I have tried everything, so I am just going to drop the hip file and hope a kind soul have time to take a peek!

Thanks for any help!

Best regards
//Morgan

Attachments:
Guy_previsanim.hiplc (2.3 MB)

45 posts
If my question doesn't make any sense, please let me know and I'll try to clarify.
45 posts
So, I figured the problem out to be because it is a humanik rig that is imported. If I create the bones in houdini and skin(capture) them, there is absolutely no problem at all to export it.

Do anyone know of a fix of this issue or do I really have to create a new rig and skin it for it to work?

I mean… it works perfectly fine in Houdini, just the export that causes problems.
Staff
476 posts
Ok, so I had a look at your scene the export doesn't work because some of the bones contributing to boneCapture are detected by the exporter as dummy bones.

Here's something I found in the exporter code.
// A bone is a dummy bone if:
// 1) It is a child of a null node
// 2) It has no children
// 3) It has a look-at node
// 4) Its look-at node is a null node which is a child of its parent null-node.
// 5) Its length is an expression.

The dummy bones are usually coming from an FBX file. If you import an fbx from Maya you'll get a null and a bone per maya joint.

I think what you have to do is make sure you do the houdini capture/deform by using the cregions on the nulls rather than on the dummy bones.
45 posts
Guillaume
Ok, so I had a look at your scene the export doesn't work because some of the bones contributing to boneCapture are detected by the exporter as dummy bones.

Here's something I found in the exporter code.
// A bone is a dummy bone if:
// 1) It is a child of a null node
// 2) It has no children
// 3) It has a look-at node
// 4) Its look-at node is a null node which is a child of its parent null-node.
// 5) Its length is an expression.

The dummy bones are usually coming from an FBX file. If you import an fbx from Maya you'll get a null and a bone per maya joint.

I think what you have to do is make sure you do the houdini capture/deform by using the cregions on the nulls rather than on the dummy bones.

Ohh, I tried the reverse of that, removing the cregions on the nulls, not on the bones.

Thanks a lot for the help, appreciate it tons!
  • Quick Links