Cannot select primitives

3807   8   1
45 posts
I've just started using Houdini, and having real problems trying to select polygon faces (primitives). I'm in Geometry Select Mode -> Select Primitives, but it's producing some very strange behaviour. No matter what object I bring in, only a seemingly random selection of faces are selectable, most are not.

Here is what it looks like with a sphere (it looks like this pretty much wherever I hold my mouse over the sphere):

Here is what it looks like with a cube (here I am actually holding my mouse over the topmost face):

I'm running Houdini Version 15.0.347 on a Macbook Pro 17" (late 2011) which has these specs:

CPU: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM: 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB

Is this a GPU incompatibility error or something?

Is there an alternative way of selecting primitives I could try?

Thanks!
Staff
4159 posts
Yeah, unfortunately it's your GPU. I have that same MacBook Pro, and under OS X it's very unreliable/unstable selecting geometry in the viewport. I haven't tried bootcamp/Windows, but you should have much better luck doing that.

And it's due to Apple/OS X, rather than Houdini; if you search around for Mac threads here on the forum, you'll soon discover the pain and misery twod has gone through trying to work around those bugs. He/we are at Apple's mercy, and they probably won't change anytime soon…

I'm o.d.d.
45 posts
Damn! I'm on the road for two months with this laptop and was hoping to finally getting around to learning Houdini…

Thanks for letting me know!
Staff
5156 posts
Do you have the latest OSX version? The graphics driver updates are tied to the OS version, maybe you'll have better luck with OSX 10.11.latest.
8 posts
Same issue here.

iMac 27-inch, mid 2011
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048mb
2 posts
Same issue here.
OSX 10.11.3
iMac 27-inch, mid 2011
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Staff
5156 posts
The selection problem is a specific driver issue with older AMD mobile GPUs on OSX. Newer AMD mobile GPUs and discrete AMD GPUs don't have this issue, nor do any AMD GPUs on Windows or Linux. The issue has been raised with Apple.
2 posts
twod
The selection problem is a specific driver issue with older AMD mobile GPUs on OSX. Newer AMD mobile GPUs and discrete AMD GPUs don't have this issue, nor do any AMD GPUs on Windows or Linux. The issue has been raised with Apple.

ok, please tell me,
how long this problem? From the latest version or for a long time?
Staff
5156 posts
I think it's been around since H14 started using the GL core profile on OSX. H13 used the legacy GL2 profile with a different renderer.
  • Quick Links