op:/ operator and Camera background image?

21696   14   7
88 posts
Hi

I am trying to load COPS image as the camera background, but for some reason this expression does not work

“opimg/comp1/_OUT”

_OUT is a null connected to the defaul.pic image. On the otherhand

“”opimg/comp1/default_pic" doesn ot work either.

Are there any limitations with COPS nodes as far as scene level pulling of images goes?

thanks
Staff
2540 posts
The use of the op: syntax to pull a COP image as a background “should” work but I am finding it troublesome myself. Submitted the bug ID=42458.

If I use the opimg/comp1/butterfly1_pic in the viewport Display Options Dialog > Background Tab Filename parmeter and enable Display Background Images it does work so I suspect there is an update bug with the viewport itself.

The “Enable Background Image” toggle on the camera should toggle on the Display options “Display Background Images” toggle…
There's at least one school like the old school!
88 posts
Thanks for the follow up Jeff. I will try adding my findings to your bug post or here.
Staff
5156 posts
You need to use the View Roto parameters to set up a background image in the viewport, via the node's Edit Rendering Parameters menu item. These used to always exist on camera nodes, but were relegated to ‘extra’ parameter status a while back. They are in the Viewport Display > View Roto folder.

Apparently they're hidden well enough that when a BG image was added to mantra, a new parameter was added instead of using these parms. These two should be consolidated.
57 posts
I had put together a quick tutorial for importing syntheyes data a while back that included a section on setting up a background image for roto. It's for Houdini v10 but the process is the same in v11. One of these days I really should upload it to vimeo. For the time being you can find it here:

File has now uploaded to Vimeo here:

http://www.vimeo.com/17870587 [vimeo.com]

There is an error at 2:10, I say “attribute” but I really mean “parameter”

Al
Edited by - Dec. 15, 2010 23:22:27
88 posts
splitpoint

thanks for the video. This should be on a video site definetely
88 posts
twod
You need to use the View Roto parameters to set up a background image in the viewport, via the node's Edit Rendering Parameters menu item. These used to always exist on camera nodes, but were relegated to ‘extra’ parameter status a while back. They are in the Viewport Display > View Roto folder.

Apparently they're hidden well enough that when a BG image was added to mantra, a new parameter was added instead of using these parms. These two should be consolidated.

twod yes that is very helpful, however it does not help with rendering a COP image as background?
20 posts
Hi

It looks like this bug is still alive in v11.1
16 posts
Same today (12.1.33)

Cop expression works as a background image for the viewport, but not for the camera.
33 posts
still around in 12.1.125
1799 posts
seeing it in 13.0.582…
-G
678 posts
Seems the bug still persists in H15
1 posts
So now I have the problem in latest Houdini release can't view background? And roto option is gone? what to do … how do I set up a background so I can see my tracking data against it linked to a camera? I am moving PFtrack data via cmd script.

I imported jpg sequence and it is working now…. maybe a limit with dpx float or something in the viewport?

Also when you have more then one camera it does not work

many bugs here
12 posts
In 16.5.323 a static file set as Camera | Background Image works in viewport and render but if set to a COP the background shows in viewport but not in render.

Any workaround?
114 posts
It seems that “Enable Background Image” does not toggle the Display background image in 18.0.366… or am I misunderstanding what the “Enable Background Image” checkbox is supposed to do…

EDIT: Oops, that's for render time… will RFE changing the name to “Render Background Image”.
Edited by nicholasralabate - Feb. 6, 2020 16:50:03
  • Quick Links