Indie Engine for free?!

2969   7   3
33 posts
What can I say? I already felt like the Indie program was a gift to me - as an indie effects artist just getting his company off the ground, it's been a godsend!

Now it's literally being gifted to me - I almost feel guilty! :-)

My continuing heartfelt thanks - I shall continue as always to bore the ears off everyone eulogizing about how great Houdini is!

Thinking about the future - I'd actually love some kind of pro-indie halfway point, if that ever fits with your plans - a package that still falls under the 100k earning limit, but costs a chunk more for certain restrictions to be lifted - like the 1080p resolution limit, or perhaps expanded license count allowance.

If projects were coming my way that could make use of such increased limits, I'd be more than happy to contribute a chunk more than the 2x$199-per-year it now costs to license my primary workstation and laptop.

Still, I suppose if things go well enough in the future to require it, it probably wouldn't seem like such a huge outlay to step up to the full licenses anyway.
Dan Wood
Vortex VFX Ltd
459 posts
This is very cool!
http://www.racecar.no [www.racecar.no]
603 posts
I agree. I'd be willing to pay twice as much ($399) for 3rd party render support.

RedShift3D is coming to Houdini, and it will be a game changer.
Edited by - March 16, 2016 10:56:37
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
453 posts
I'm working at a small Indie game company as the technical artist and we used to have one Houdini Engine license aside from my Houdini Indy seat. So only one other artist could use my tools. Now I can make tools for everyone when the need arises. Awesome! Thank you SideFX!
I'm kinda surprised nobody posted this in announcements… I had to find out about this via a facebook post.
149 posts
wow, awesome news indeed! thanks sidefx!
33 posts
DASD

Now I can make tools for everyone when the need arises.
Well, for a-maximum-of-three people, according to the terms :-P
Dan Wood
Vortex VFX Ltd
517 posts
Wow, I hope this makes heap more people jump on board!
Houdini is amazing for game development! Only problem is engine still doesn't work while you are developing for iOS, or Android on Unity which means I've never been able to use it I hope they fix that sometime. (Not to actually run on the device, just in the editor).
73 posts
WOOO this is so amazing!!!!! Best news ever!!!
CG Generalist / FX Artist
http://www.jleandrovfx.com [www.jleandrovfx.com]
Jason Leandro.
  • Quick Links