Bake Texture 15.5 example

11128   13   3
190 posts
I'm getting errors when using the example files for bake textures in H15.5 and i can't get the baking of other “passes” other then the beauty pass working. Mplay does show the “image planes” but other then C, they are all just black.
Am I doing something wrong or is this a temporary hickup with H15.5?
Cheers
Rudi
402 posts
Ah good! So it's not just me then! I've been wondering if I was just a thundering wally.

Yes, it's the same for me, all other passes come out black. Managed to get it happening in 15.0.469, so I'm guessing it is a new problem.

Have you sent a bug report?
Henry Dean
190 posts
I just made a bug report, was a bit unsure if it wasn't user-error.
402 posts
Ha,yes I just made one too.. ah well.
I heard back from SESI and they've logged it as a bug, so it looks like we're not going mad )
Henry Dean
190 posts
That's a comforting thought :-)
402 posts
Hello again,

It seems that adding a material to the high res object does make a difference, I tried mantra surface and principled shaders. I got cavity and curvature passes generating some data, displacement however is still black as your hat…

Just thought I'd let you know
Henry Dean
18 posts
I'm having trouble getting normals out.. is this still being fixed? id like to cut out xnormal from my pipeline

no matter the ray bias, no actual normal generating is happening

Edited by moferad - Aug. 10, 2016 21:25:24

Attachments:
NormaliSSUE.PNG (1.2 MB)
Bake_Test.hip (253.7 KB)

710 posts
Hey moferad, which build of Houdini are you using? I ran your scene in 15.5.542 and it generates proper normals for me, although I had to take the ray bias up to around 0.08 for the holes in the map to disappear.

Edited by Siavash Tehrani - Aug. 13, 2016 19:24:52

Attachments:
2016-08-13_16-18-50.jpg (335.4 KB)

18 posts
DaJuice
Hey moferad, which build of Houdini are you using? I ran your scene in 15.5.542 and it generates proper normals for me, although I had to take the ray bias up to around 0.08 for the holes in the map to disappear.

This is bizarre.. i just tested it on .564 and Im just getting black renders now.. testing on .565

ya strange still getting nothing… i even tried the mantra surface shader

nvidia cards only issue? maybe?

Edited by moferad - Aug. 15, 2016 21:11:57

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (1.1 MB)

710 posts
I installed build .567 (alongside .542) and it's giving me the same result as what you're getting now, a flat normal map. Hmmm.
I haven't tried xnormal. How do you find it compared to the Houdini process? I have some issues with the bake texture rop, maybe it'll get some love in the next version.
http://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/45243/ [sidefx.com]
110 posts
Hi,

This issue has been resolved in the latest build of H15.5. Please find attached a scene and render showing the output with that build. Let us know if you get a chance to test this out. Thank you.

~M

Attachments:
tangent-normals.jpg (47.1 KB)
tangent-normals.hip (300.4 KB)

402 posts
Hi @mdavies,

Yes, tangent normals appear to be working just fine. Is there any news on the displacement issue?

Cheers,

Henry
Henry Dean
3 posts
Yes, tangent normals appear to be working just fine.
no, they don't
Example, posted by mdavies works ok ONLY if hirez is smaller than low rez. But as soon as they have intersections - this intersection areas always rendered as black in C channel and inverted (in some very strange way) in Nt channel. Other channels like occlusion and curvature looks cut there.
In real life situation low poly geometry almost always have intersections (like was shown here https://vimeo.com/143618200) [vimeo.com] - so bake tool is still broken unfortunately.
It worked in h15 - all except displacement - it had problems with negative values though.
But it is very promising, waiting when sidefx will fix these.

110 posts
Hi,

The issue with intersecting geometry can be handled in one of two ways:

1. Increase the ‘Ray Bias’. This will cause the rays to be offset away from the low-res object. You should increase this value until you see the black areas disappear.

2. Change the ‘Unwrap Method’ to ‘Trace Closest Surface’. This will cause the trace to happen in both directions, picking the direction that hits the high-res object.

If you would like to attach your scene I can set up some examples that show how this setup can work.

~M

Attachments:
baketexture-intersections.jpg (84.1 KB)

• Quick Links