Normal Booleans?

3929   9   2
538 posts
When we can see a new Cookie SOP?
https://gumroad.com/alexeyvanzhula [gumroad.com]
1390 posts
What do you mean by “normal booleans”?
45 posts
I recall having read somewhere that they are in fact working on improving the cookie node, might be for the 16 release.

Though I do wonder what you mean with “normal booleans” as well
280 posts
i think some part of why cookie in houdini is very bad is because of the precision of float in houdini. for example in simple calculation like 0.0+0.1+0.1 is sometimes not equal to .2 but 0.1999998 instead.. the other day i tried polysplit using curve somehow the created cuts snaps to the nearest point when there is no option what so ever to snap…
i could be wrong tho….
Btw why this precision problem happened in the first place?

I attached a simple cookie test that works fine in maya

Best regards
Patar
Edited by patar - June 16, 2016 14:20:12

Attachments:
cookieTest.hip (88.8 KB)

4189 posts
patar

Floating Point Numbers - Computerphile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRI1IfStY0 [youtube.com]
280 posts
thank you for that url..
but the question remains..
other 3d apps also has this limitation too
they can have a Boolean thats pretty much work (not perfect, but definitely better)

until this doesnt happen (houdini has a better boolean) houdini will never be the good choice for modelling. coz boolean is one of the most basic thing in modeling. we do hopes that one day houdini can be a to go to software for every task be it for modeling, animation, rigging, lighting, rendering, even comp. and not just fx only apps. right now im still thinking modeling is the weakest side in houdini. its getting alot better tho in the few last release.
471 posts
patar
thank you for that url..
but the question remains..
other 3d apps also has this limitation too
they can have a Boolean thats pretty much work (not perfect, but definitely better)

until this doesnt happen (houdini has a better boolean) houdini will never be the good choice for modelling. coz boolean is one of the most basic thing in modeling. we do hopes that one day houdini can be a to go to software for every task be it for modeling, animation, rigging, lighting, rendering, even comp. and not just fx only apps. right now im still thinking modeling is the weakest side in houdini. its getting alot better tho in the few last release.

Seems Cookie Node will improve for H16.
Algorithm behind of Boolean is too complex.
Houdini is a procedural modeler and typically you need to use Cookie SOP in your modelling workflow but if it is not work very well you can use Volumetric Boolean instead.
also i don't agree with your saying that Houdini's modelling is the weakest side of it.
Think that you want to create simple gear for instance.
You can control specification of your model any seconds via extracting parameters and create HDAs.
See Rohan Dalvi's modelling tutorials to find out what hidden power of Houdini's modelling is.
Cheers.

766 posts
Artye
patar

Floating Point Numbers - Computerphile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRI1IfStY0 [youtube.com]

Computers cut off at a point of floating point precision, depending if it's 32 or 64bit; if they didn't they would calculate forever, I think.

Also 3D programs are created by humans and these humans may know math better then I or some of us due to maybe lack of understanding or bad teachers in any case humans can only calculate so far, they are only human.
【T】【C】【S】
280 posts
yes I know how powerful the current Houdini 15.5 procedural modeling can be, now think that and add a proper Boolean. Do you think it will be better? or do you feel that every time you need Boolean you have go to other 3d apps and loose the procedural-ism in your workflow?
I also know how to use volume boolean bu then again my geometry will change the topology by alot… hard to maintain proper uv clean edge etc…imagine if you wanna make a certain furniture with reference so the look will have to be exact…and you need to cut out some part of it albeit if you are a professional 3D modeler you wanna use volume boolean for this… on the other hand it does work remarkably well for vfx… where you dont care how the edge/topology look like…

best regards
Patar
471 posts

patar
yes I know how powerful the current Houdini 15.5 procedural modeling can be, now think that and add a proper Boolean. Do you think it will be better? or do you feel that every time you need Boolean you have go to other 3d apps and loose the procedural-ism in your workflow?
I also know how to use volume boolean bu then again my geometry will change the topology by alot… hard to maintain proper uv clean edge etc…imagine if you wanna make a certain furniture with reference so the look will have to be exact…and you need to cut out some part of it albeit if you are a professional 3D modeler you wanna use volume boolean for this… on the other hand it does work remarkably well for vfx… where you dont care how the edge/topology look like…

best regards
Patar

It is completely up to you how make it work when Boolean is not response.
Often, geometries that used in Boolean have not proper quality i.e edges overlapping each other or gaping etc you may not even know.
But you can use fuse or facet SOP for cleaning your geometries or even append tetrahedralize SOP for check whether overlapping exists or not.
Also you can use clip node parallel with each primitives in other to get better result when you are not sure about quality of geometries.
another approach is creating brand new Boolean by means of VEX.
I think SideFX will cover this tool in H16 because it is use lots of times in procedural modeling also one of SideFX's staff said that as well.

cheers.
Edited by Nima - June 18, 2016 07:44:41
  • Quick Links