Shaders base color mismatch

2747   4   1
129 posts
Hello guys,
I'm going crazy with color management in Houdini, I set a base color in a Mantra shader using RGB values taken from an Arnold for Maya aiStandard shader. The result color is different, in Houdini it's not correct, it's not linearized. Has it to be linearized manually ? Just to understand if this is the normal workflow because all the other color settings are set to linear by default, only the base color seems to have this problem.

Thank you

Ray

Attachments:
colors.jpg (132.5 KB)

702 posts
Under Edit/Color Settings/Color Correction Tab

you most likely have Color Pickers and swatches set to apply a gamma of 2.2 in which case this is the color you will see when you render this shader and not the darker orange color from the ai material

uncheck the Color Picker and swatches and you will see the same color as the ai one….however if you are rendering this with a gamma 2.2 it wont look as saturated as the dark orange one, it will be the lighter one…
129 posts
Thank you for your reply. Yes I tried to uncheck the gamma 2.2 color correction option for “color picker and swatches”, the color is ok in the picker but in render it's orange because it's not linearized… only way is to calculate the RGB values in linear space and insert them manually ?
702 posts
yes, if you want the darker orange you need to apply an inverse gamma to it either in the shader or in the parameter, pow( color ,2.2)
Edited by sidenimjay - July 5, 2016 12:19:04
129 posts
Thank you
  • Quick Links