Maya ramp equivalent in Houdini

4015   4   1
129 posts
Hello guys, just started learning Houdini coming from years of Maya, I hope it's not a dumb question but is there an equivalent procedural texture in Houdini like the Maya “ramp” ?
Thank you

Ray
18 posts
Hi Ray,

there is no prebuild ramp shader, like in Maya.
But there is a ramp parameter, which you can use inside your shader. But you need to plug the UVs or whatever you like to drive the ramp with manually.

So inside your shopnet dive into your shader and add a ramp parameter, as soon you connect input and output the ramp will show up in your shader interface.

Note that it won't show up in your viewport, you need to render it in order to see changes.

Best regards,
Jacob

Here's an example:
Edited by Innehavaren - July 2, 2016 05:05:24

Attachments:
linear_gradient.hip (105.8 KB)

129 posts
Thank you Jacob, the file is very useful, great.
Very similar to Maya ramp, what I miss is the parameter “type” that creates various types of ramps like circular, radial, tartan, etc. and is very useful sometimes I create pupils of the characters just with a circular ramp and three or four colors, and then I animate it using uv coordinates. I'm pretty sure in Houdini it's possible to achieve this and much much more, I have to study a lot !

Thank you

Ray

18 posts
Hi Ray,

here's a simple example of a radial ramp shader. Corner ramp is possible with quite the same technique.
Of course you can change the constant parameter with everything else or feed it with expressions.
With this one you need to pick a point of your geo, where the ramp begins with.

Jacob

Attachments:
radial_gradient.hip (122.0 KB)

129 posts
Wow, thank you
  • Quick Links