kristinka and few questions

9732   8   1
98 posts
Hello,

first of all, something I believe it is a good news. I'm close to finish a ‘port’ of Softimage ICE hair styling system called Kristinka Hair, to Houdini. For now it is a bit ‘compact’, but I think it includes the all main features, including connection to H wire solver, animated deformations as well. That is, for now, ‘fur’ part is not there - as I believe this one already wasn't very popular. Some more info is available here [vimeo.com], here [vimeo.com], and here [si-community.com].

Now, questions:

1: Planned distribution doesn't seem to fit into Orbolt rules - it has around twenty nodes, no one is master, I'm using SI style units of 1 unit = 10 cm (allow me to use geometry guides from SI, compare setups, so on), I'm planning to put about five to ten hips as samples, docs most likely will be a PDF…
So, is there another way than Orbolt, to make it available for ‘regular’ Houdini users, not only Indies. I'm using Houdini Indie for all this, that's it.

2: Move tool in H 15. Thing in attached pic is styling node called ‘in between curves’ in action, performing let's call it UV space interpolation, allowing to use only about dozen curves to describe this hairdo. Curves are placed in separate H object, so I'm able to edit them without harm. BUT, it seems than H move tool somehow automatically switches from ‘select and move at once’, to ‘select, then move in new action’. I'd believe behavior is dependent on presence of another objects - if I hide other objects, it is desired ‘at once’, if I have everything displayed, it switches back to undesired, two actions style. So, is there a way to force the move tool to be in ‘at once’ mode, all the time.

Attachments:
kh_questions.png (95.0 KB)

1265 posts
Awesome news!
We used and loved kristinka. Glad that you found the time to port it to H.

Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
98 posts
Thank You Werner. Reminds me to good old times, 2009 or so, when one digit was more than enough to describe the entire user base including me
Anyway, here [antomatkovicdotcom.files.wordpress.com] is bunch of files to get. Hope this just a (new) start

Attachments:
kristinka_h_20dec2015.jpg (132.7 KB)

26 posts
Awesome
1265 posts
O wow.
How did I miss your reply. Thank you sooo very much for that!
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
98 posts
Thank You, Werner
118 posts
Looks great! I liked using Kristinka for Softimage. Looking forward to checking this out when it comes over to Houdini. I always liked the control with the Softimage version.

Glen
655 posts
Looks great.

Regarding your questions…

1) The best route in my humble opinion would be to use a git repository so you can easily pull the environment files, nodes, scritps, etc… in one convenient way and allow for super-easy updates. Check qLib for how it has been done with Houdini, very very nice approach.

2) Regarding manipulations, I am not sure if there is a way to do what you want in its current form, my suggestion is to write support, they do listen way more than you would imagine.

hope it helps
jb

BTW. The scale may be an issue… you really will want to review it on 1 unit = 1 meter. (my 2 cents)
Edited by jordibares - Jan. 4, 2017 17:20:43
98 posts
jordibares
Looks great.

Regarding your questions…

1) The best route in my humble opinion would be to use a git repository so you can easily pull the environment files, nodes, scritps, etc… in one convenient way and allow for super-easy updates. Check qLib for how it has been done with Houdini, very very nice approach.

2) Regarding manipulations, I am not sure if there is a way to do what you want in its current form, my suggestion is to write support, they do listen way more than you would imagine.

hope it helps
jb

BTW. The scale may be an issue… you really will want to review it on 1 unit = 1 meter. (my 2 cents)

Thanks for your time.
I'm keeping it on my site [matkovic.com], together with SI version. In one year, feedback was close to zero. As far as I know, significant majority of users of that system are not Houdini users, today. So, generally, I've decided to move on and start something completely new, while I'm not completely sure, where and when that new thing is expected to appear. System itself is really old, last conceptual change belongs to 2011.
Regarding writing to support or git, that's somehow out of my Houdini Indie level of engagement. It's pleasure, not business. If something doesn't fit in certain software, I'll take look into another one, there are nice and affordable choices around.
By the way, in ICE times, versions were not backward compatible, I've considered ‘too much of compatibility’ as an unacceptable limitation. It was only ICE as ‘compatibility holder’.
  • Quick Links