Problem using Renderman RIS and ptex textures in Houdini

4176   6   1
16 posts
Hello everyone

I have encountered a few problems when transferring ptex textures from Mudbox into Houdini. I am using Renderman in Houdini, but loading ptex textures through a pxrptexture node into the diffuse channel of a BxDF yields weird results. The textures seems to be tiled so my guess is that something is wrong with the face id's.

I simply exported the geometry from mudbox as an obj. file along with the ptex texture created in mudbox and used a file-node in Houdini to import it. I applied a pxrDisney material with the pxrptexture hooked into the base color slot. Any ideas on how to set it up correctly or what I am missing would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
483 posts
Is it possible to share the file with the problem?
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
16 posts
Maybe this could help. It should work in indie with renderman installed. I applied a test ptexture to a generic mudbox sphere. The jpeg image is how it should look. It definitely seems as though the ptexture is getting tiled pr polygon so I am almost certain that missing face indices are to blame for the problem. But I have not found a way to apply them in Houdini.

Attachments:
ballMudboxImage.jpg (163.8 KB)
HP.hiplc (193.8 KB)
ball.obj (40.1 KB)
ballpaint_sphere.ptx (3.4 MB)

16 posts
Here is the result in Houdini btw …

Attachments:
houdinieBall.jpg (335.2 KB)

483 posts
First you need to create a __faceindex attribute.
Then maybe you have to flip the ptex.
My demo ptex comes from 3D Coat :-) , which has a “Flip” option in the ptex export menu.
Compare test-c and test-d render.

If you test my scene, please set back the “Command” to your needs

Hope that's helpy
Edited by matthias_k - Aug. 9, 2016 19:04:12

Attachments:
HP-1.hiplc (227.5 KB)
test-c.ptx (166.5 KB)
test-d.ptx (166.0 KB)
test-c-render.jpg (253.4 KB)
test-d-render.jpg (235.6 KB)
attributes-for-renderman.jpg (214.9 KB)
my-setting.jpg (94.3 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
483 posts
had a look in mudbox, no flip option :-(
Maybe try a reverse sop, see image…

or use 3D Coat ;-)
http://3dcoat.com/home/ [3dcoat.com]

Attachments:
reverse-sop.jpg (266.0 KB)

16 posts
Thanks so much matthias_k It works perfectly ! It was the attribute rename sop I was missing. And you do have to use a reverse sop at the end to flip the ptex. Awesome
  • Quick Links