adding polygons to a point cloud

8460   8   1
1799 posts
What is the best way to create polygons for points in a point cloud? Using the add SOP seems to be working.. however, the points I am trying to connect are in a sporadic order, thererfore it results in edges everywhere…!

Ideally I would like to joint points based on their proximity (i.e. for each point, find the closest four points and connect together)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
-G
88 posts
Try particle surface SOP. It does a good job, though your points need to have normals.
1799 posts
Hi Kursad! Thank you for your quick reply !

By Particle Surface, you mean the particle fluid surface sop or the particle sop?

The particle fluid surface sop seems to create geometry around my points; however, I was kinda of hoping to end up with a geometry that has the exact same points as my point cloud (i.e. if my point cloud is four points, I would end up with a quad)

thank you again!
-G
1799 posts
Actually, it looks like what I am looking for is a bit of what meshlab does:

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ [meshlab.sourceforge.net]

However it would be nice to be able to do it in Houdini as it is a step on a DA I am creating. Any suggestions on how to approach this?

Thanks!
-G
7710 posts
You could write a wrapper script that calls MeshLab via the Unix SOP. Your script calls gconvert to convert from stdin.bgeo to tmp.ply, run meshlab, call gconvert to convert from tmp.ply to stdout.bgeo.
1799 posts
Thank you Edward! I think I will go the wrapper route for this
-G
23 posts
Hello gray,

I am in the same situation,
can you explain what you did in the end?
is it possible to have a hip example?

Thanks for helping
2036 posts
I'm just seeing this original post today.

If I would have seen it earlier I would have suggested the possibility of using a point wrangler and in that use the vex nearpoint function.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini15.5/vex/functions/nearpoint [sidefx.com]
1799 posts
oh wow, this post was from a while back! since then, there has been a ton of improvements in Houdini for this particular area (such as VDBs, the new Triangulate 2D, etc). Depending on what you are trying to do, one technique may work better than another. What does your point cloud look like?
-G
  • Quick Links