Redshift Instance

16963   6   1
25 posts
Im having some problem getting redshift to instance a series of different objects.
I have created a instance number attribute like in the halloween instance tutorial and it works in houdini, but reshift will not read it.
Any suggestions are very welcome.
604 posts
What problems are you having? Redshift reads the “instance” point attribute to provide instancing.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
25 posts
Thanks for replying

Well the case is that if i just enter the object name redshift use the scatter points as instructed, with scale and rotation atributes. In addition to this have added an attribute that creates a string for witch object to be instanced for variations, but if i enable that attribute redshift will not instance any objects. It works as expected using mantra.
604 posts
Well, first off, this forum isnt monitored by Redshift support, so I'd post any RS related question to the RS forums at www.redshift3d.com

At any rate….

Lets say you have the following OBJ's: Box, Sphere, and Torus, these are our Source OBJ's

We then need another OBJ that will be our Instancer. This can be any OBJ really, but I prefer to use the Instance OBJ because it has native viewport support.

So, drop an Instance OBJ, and set it to Fast Point Instancing.

Now all you need to do is create some points on the Instance OBJ and add a string point attribute called “instance” and give it a per-point value that is a path to one of our Source OBJ's.

At this point, you will get the same result whether you render using Mantra or Redshift.
Edited by TwinSnakes007 - Sept. 19, 2016 22:06:59

Attachments:
rsInstancing.jpg (473.6 KB)

Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
25 posts
That did the trick, i used what is probably an older way of using string following an old houdini 12 ish tutorial.
But thanks alot that saved my day!
36 posts
Daryl Dunlap can you share this scene?

Ok I have different problem with instance. How to transfer random, or custom attribute from point to instance. For example, color or scale or rotation. In attribute wrangler?
Edited by TheCrisis - Jan. 25, 2017 10:05:04
604 posts
TheCrisis
Daryl Dunlap can you share this scene?

I dont have it anymore actually, but if you're still having issues with instancing, I can recreate it no problem.

TheCrisis
Ok I have different problem with instance. How to transfer random, or custom attribute from point to instance. For example, color or scale or rotation. In attribute wrangler?

As of the time of this writing, Redshift does not automatically extract custom attribute data. There are some attributes that are automatically extracted, these are detailed in the FAQ section of the Redshift for Houdini documentation. For custom attributes, you have to manually identify them for scene extraction on a per-OBJ basis.

These steps and more are outlined in the RS for H Docs.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
  • Quick Links