Fluids rendered outside of Houdini

2079   6   1
765 posts
I recently saw a video whereas the owner of the video took a fluid fluid water fall and imported into Maya and it rendered equally as if it was rendered in Houdini with Mantra (splashes, white water etc); but I have not the slightest clue on how this was done ?
【T】【C】【S】
17 posts
There are some options to do it - meshed water can be transferred via alembic or fbx or via Houdini Engine. Particles can be imported using houdini engine (They will be shown as nparticles).
765 posts
I found out only velocity can be imported into Maya Not sure about transfer maps; my take idea is to take the attributes which are transferred and export those as UV maps and import into Maya.
Edited by _Christopher_ - Oct. 26, 2016 13:20:44
【T】【C】【S】
2624 posts
Funny enough this is the subject area I am working on right now > flip fluid sims into Maya. Ive got a way to get all your attributes into Maya > but and a big but is how you use a maya colour set to drive the motion blur nothing I have seen so far looks pin perfect ! . Katanna on the other hand reads the Houdini.abc files perfectly and renders without all the hassle. Basically Maya's importer is rubbish.

Rob
Gone fishing
765 posts
Edited by _Christopher_ - Oct. 26, 2016 20:11:42
【T】【C】【S】
2624 posts
Dont know , not tested that …. Most of the time now FX light + render there elements with Deep and then everything is put together in comp.

Rob
Gone fishing
765 posts
Updated the post.
【T】【C】【S】
  • Quick Links