Subdivision & Topology: User Bugs vs Mantra Bugs

2804   2   0
4256 posts
Every now and then when I'm rendering I get cracks, which are generally caused by some less than great topology in the model. Normally I do what I can to correct the problem on my end and thats the end of it. But I sometimes wonder if my less than perfect geometry “should” be ok, and I'm actually hitting a bug that should be submitted.

Take this mesh as an example:

One of the polygons is pretty iffy, and when rendered as a subd it looks like this.

To fix this all I need to do is plop down a divide or subdivide sop and all is well.

In other words, if I see something like this and its easy to fix I don't bother making a bug report. In cases like this, should I be making a bug report?

Sometimes the line between user error and software error is pretty blurry. :?
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
1002 posts
I'm almost certain that getting cracks like this is a bug… If you could pass on the hip file or ifd we'll have a look.

Andrew
4256 posts
Here's the file
http://stickylight.com/holes2.hip.gz [stickylight.com]

If I notice cracks and the like, I'll start posting the files more often…the worse that can happen is someone will say, “hey d00d! No wonder you are getting cracks that polygon has 153.7 sides. Use the polysplit once in a while!”

if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
  • Quick Links