BUG: Memory leak in cached playback in DOPs

5548   6   0
12457 posts
Hi there,

If you allow Houdini to play back even very simple simulations of DOP Networks (I'm using one under SOPs), Houdini will continually swell until you run out of RAM.

Houdini 8.0.387, Windows, ATI graphics.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
7715 posts
If you just start up a default Houdini session and put it into continuous playback, does it also appear to leak? We found out recently that on the the ATI Radeon X300 at least, it would leak on every redraw. I would also try your file on an nVidia driver to double-check.
4256 posts
Having a ball fall over and over again (5 minutes) does *not* show any signs of memory leak on this Linux box.

Houdini 8.0.383
Nvidia card of some uber sort.

(sorry if the first version of this message was a bit unclear….I was eatting a Roti.)
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
12457 posts
edward
If you just start up a default Houdini session and put it into continuous playback, does it also appear to leak? We found out recently that on the the ATI Radeon X300 at least, it would leak on every redraw. I would also try your file on an nVidia driver to double-check.

Ah, you're right! Well, thank goodness for that! I suspected something which I why I wrote down the gfx card. I am on a Radeon 9700 on a Dell Inspirin 9200. Should've waited a week or two for the 9300 with the Nvidia FX, had I known they were going to ship that. :evil:

Oddly enough, it'll accumulate even if Houdini is playing back while minimized.

Cheers Ed,
Jason
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
4140 posts
In related news…

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=171203587 [eetimes.com]

I won't touch ATI again…they seemed to get better for a while, and NVidia got a little worse, but seems to be back to “normal” now. Add their lackluster linux support, and I'm outta there…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
7715 posts
jason_iversen
Ah, you're right! Well, thank goodness for that! I suspected something which I why I wrote down the gfx card. I am on a Radeon 9700 on a Dell Inspirin 9200.

I guess you missed my odwiki entry because it was right before the evil spam attack on it. Feel free to update it [odforce.net].

If anyone can reproduce this on a FireGL card, please let us know as then it's an officially certified card which we get then take issue with ATI.
15 posts
Yes, I am the one with the X300.. when reporting it to ATI they simply told me that my card was ‘not suited for OpenGl applications’ and trying to get me to buy a FireGL

Two things to solve the memory issue:

Turn Double Buffering off in houdini's settings.. but that causes flickering problems and non-smooth playback.

Or set the hardware acceleration level in your video driver settings down low.. but this causes viewport performance to be very very slow.

I used catalyst 5.5 and 5.9 and happened on both
  • Quick Links