HDK license manually: How?

5980   8   2
7024 posts
Hello,
The auto-license aquisition has not worked for me on Windows for months now, but it hasn't been a problem until today. I cannot get an HDK license, and there does not appear to be a way to do it manually on license.sidefx.com. So, what do I do??
Incidentally, Linux works fine on the same machine with the exact same Internet settings…

Cheers,

Peter B
11 posts
I'm glad you asked that Peter,

I'm having the same trouble, windows XP.

I haven't been able to open Houdini for the past few days because I can't get through to the license server or enter the keys manually with any degree of success.
Gurbo
7710 posts
Hmm, this looks like a Standalone Mode in the license server problem (on Windows). To fix this, start up the License Administator. In the top File menu, choose Change License Server. In the dialog that pops up, turn off Use Standalone Mode. In the License Server Host input, make sure it's the right name, you can try clicking on the Local Server button if it's wrong. Now click OK and exit the License Administrator. Everything should now work.
11 posts
Edward,

you're a legend. Thanks very much for that. It did the trick.

I take it that I don't need to have the License Administrator running before firing up H8? I tend to do that through habit - because it worked back with Houdini 7.

Cheers and Beers
Gurbo
7710 posts
To my knowledge, having the License Administrator up or not has never had any effect with Houdini starting up. Perhaps it was just coincidence for you?
7024 posts
Soooo, you turn off Standalone just to collect licenses, then turn it back on, right? I'm using DHCP, so I need it on.

Incidentally, how's Standalone mode for Linux coming along? It's a real pain the ass right now having to switch from DHCP to fixed to run Houdini on my Linux laptop.

Cheers,

Peter B
Staff
270 posts
The fix for this bug should be in tomorrow's 8.0.394.

We don't have any plans to add a standalone mode for Linux. Licensing should work properly on Linux with DHCP if you configure Linux to not change your host name whenever it connects via DHCP. Is that not the case for you Peter?
7024 posts
Hi Lucas,
Hmm. I have not tried keeping the hostname when using DHCP, I will give it a try!

Thanks!

Pete rB
11 posts
lucas
The fix for this bug should be in tomorrow's 8.0.394.
I found and installed H8.0.391.Thanks very much, it seems to have fixed the licensing problem and the crashing on save and quit.

Much appreciated.
Gurbo