Change to paramter interface not updating in unity

4321   4   2
9 posts
add parameters, save new asset, load in unity it works fine.

but if i then change params in houdini, save asset, rebuild in unity the new paramters are not visible.

what am i doing wrong?

im on mac sierra

thanks

j
Edited by shmo - Dec. 14, 2016 08:01:38
402 posts
It sounds like maybe Unity is pointing to a different asset file than Houdini is? In Unity, go to Houdini Engine > Debug and Open the scene in Unity with you asset instantiated and make sure it's using the same otl/hda.
19 posts
I have the same issue. Just trying to follow some very basic tutorials. Unity isn't updating the parameters.
Though I think the problem is already in Houdini: The parameter interface shows existing parameters grayed out and I can't change all their settings. While the new one is in black letters (“Rows” and even “Separator” in the screenshot below). Maybe that's the issue? Hope I can figure it out - probably just a simple beginners error.

Attachments:
Houdini_Parameters_Window.png (58.8 KB)

402 posts
The issue is that you're editing the Spare Parameters on the node instead of the parameters on the asset. These are, well, spare parameters. You can add spares on any node if you just need an extra parameter to help with channel references or usability. These spare parameters get saves as part of the .hip scene file and as part of the .otl/.hda.

To add real, permanent, parameters on your asset, right click on your asset node and go to “Type Properties”.

Here's a video that goes over some of this: https://vimeo.com/158671982 [vimeo.com]
19 posts
Ah ok, works now.
I had used right-click on the package and “Edit Parameter Interface…” - which leads to the wrong (but similar looking) menu. Should have used right-click “Type Properties…” and then go to the Parameter tab. That fixed it.

Thanks!
  • Quick Links