When exporting, no files being saved to disk, though Houdini says it did. [solved]

3733   4   1
2 posts
I recently started working with Houdini, and have not yet been able to create any image files, though rendering seems to work fine. I added some screenshots (H1, H2, H3) as attachments to explain.

H1: I have set up a ropnet with these settings. If I press “Render to Disk”, no files are created.

H2: The folder I'm rendering to looks like this afterwards. No jpegs, just those two files.

H3: I tried rendering to MPlay first, and then exporting from there. Afterwards, it says it created the files, but the folder is still the same as H2.

What am I doing wrong?

Tim
Edited by timzweistra - Jan. 12, 2017 12:13:29

Attachments:
H1.png (68.8 KB)
H2.png (18.2 KB)
H3.png (593.4 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
in the Output Picture, are you giving the file name an extension > "mixing fluids render.jpg" ?

also - DO NOT use spaces in your file paths/names…it might work but it WILL cause you problems.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
2 posts
arctor
in the Output Picture, are you giving the file name an extension > "mixing fluids render.jpg" ?

also - DO NOT use spaces in your file paths/names…it might work but it WILL cause you problems.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the reply.

I needed to add $F and .jpg. Coming from C4D and other applications where those things are done automatically makes it confusing sometimes.
Staff
3455 posts
timzweistra
Coming from C4D and other applications where those things are done automatically makes it confusing sometimes.

yeah, Houdini allows for much more fine control of these things - an consequently you have to do some of this yourself.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1 posts
Hello, sorry for reply to the old thread but I just stumbled upon on this behavior on Linux.
I several hours tried to sort out why image not saved from Redshift render view, dialog just silently closed as if it was saved (but not). After I tried all including setting folders permissions, reinstalled 2 different Linux distro, and reinstalled several Houdini and Redshift distros, finally I added .png to the filename and it was saved.
But on Windows it was not needed, filename without extension was ok, it was added automatically there.

But is not it a bug though? I mean some error message should be present or line in log or something, I just had no idea what is going on and what is wrong.
  • Quick Links