Undo (Command + Z) on mac seems flakey...

5771   13   3
517 posts
Hi there,

Does anyone else find the undo shortcut (and sometimes copy/paste) often just don't work in Houdini on the mac?
It seems to happen a lot for me. So much so that when I undo now I usually just do it from the top menu, which is way slower than the shorcut.

Anyone?
Pete
333 posts
When hitting ctrl z, put your mouse over the network tab instead of the viewport. maybe that will help.

I think the same issue is on linux sometimes when with the mouse in the viewport the shortcut dont work.
4189 posts
Yes it's a bit flakey but nailing specific reproducible steps for a bug report is tough - you can use the RMB Copy/Paste which is rock solid.

There is also env variable that looks promising too:

HOUDINI_ENABLE_UNDO_BUG_NOTIFY
If set to 1, this environment variable enables verbose output for potential
undo bugs as they occur in Houdini.
185 posts

Artye
HOUDINI_ENABLE_UNDO_BUG_NOTIFY

Cheers for that Artye, didn't know that one existed!

The whole copy/paste/undo* breaking on OSX is kinda frustrating. It seems to be pretty random, and while I've been running into the issue since the 15 beta's, I've never managed to find a way of satisfactorily reproducing it. Will turn this on and hopefully at least I'll have some decent logs to submit

* im assuming the former two are similar to the undo bug
Edited by jujoje - May 25, 2016 22:48:05
4189 posts
Debugging this now - a good way to run tests is to open the ‘Undo History…’ and leave the window open. It shows a list of operations to undo/redo, and you can see when it works and then when Undo stops working.

EDIT: Found one culprit. ‘Geometry select type change’ ie. select tool and pressing keys 2,3,4 for points, edges and prims, stops the UNdo buffer from working. OsX, H15.5.487 Submitted as bug #75661
Edited by anon_user_37409885 - May 26, 2016 17:04:41
517 posts
Great I'm gonna enable that and see if I can see it happening.
4189 posts
Nailed the next issue - where the keyboard shortcuts no longer work.

If you CMD+B over the viewport for full-screen, no keyboard shortcuts will work, i.e. CMD+S for Save or CMD+Z for Undo, to fix open a window like the Undo History and then the keyboard will start working again.

H15.5.489, OsX 10.10.5, Gtx 980, dual screens

Edit: Bug ID=75708

EDIT: a good workaround when CMD+S for save doesn't work, is to use OPT+S. That seems to be bulletproof.
Edited by anon_user_37409885 - May 29, 2016 17:03:09
517 posts
This bug is driving me nuts
Thanks for the option tip though, that seems to work.
Just wondering, after enabling the environment variable, where do the notifications appear?
P.
4189 posts
Not sure - but that bug affects the whole app, not just saving, so it's a real killer
517 posts
Hey Artye,
I got a little work around for this from SESI support! I sounds hacky but it works and I love it
When the shortcut curse happens, press the shortcut for file save as, then cancel the save.
Thats it! Shortcuts are back and the world is a happy place again

P.
4189 posts
Thanks, I also had a similar fix, open any dialog and then close it, but it's not guaranteed to always work. The main problem is the lack of reliability of shortcut keys means that the long-cut is almost always quicker.
4189 posts
Something to check; the undo shortcut doesn't work when the cursor is over the viewport. If the cursor is over the Network View, Parameters or a floating curve editor, then all is fine.

MacOS 10.12.2, H15.5.688

EDIT: looks like @Doudini already bagged that one way back
Edited by anon_user_37409885 - Dec. 16, 2016 19:00:46
4189 posts
Word on the street… build 15.5.721 squashes this bug… hooray!
517 posts
Yeay! That's awesome
Thanks for the update!
  • Quick Links