Attaching clothes and hair to a rigged body

13699   72   3
Staff
3455 posts
if you want to deform the cloth without doing a sim you can use Attribute Transfer to set the capture weights from the body onto the clothes..
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
154 posts
Oh thank you very much I'll love to do that! How exactly am I supposed to use attribute transfer?
154 posts
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/44314/ [sidefx.com]
I managed to find this on the forum.. But I'm still having trouble using the attribute transfer. I don't know which node to use from the muscle_capture.. Can someone help me please!
Staff
3455 posts
can you attach your file? or a simple version of it.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
806 posts
Moin,

you have to transfer the capture data from the body to the cloths. I am attaching an over-simplified example with a smaller tube inside (“body”) and a larger tube outside (“cloth”).
The idea is that the originally captured object has an attribute on its points that “weights” the respective point to position changes of the attached bone. If you want to attach another geometry to the same bone, all you have to do is “copy” this weight over by using an attribute transfer node and add a deformer that uses this attribute to deform the secondary geometry.

Maybe this helps?

Marc

Attachments:
simplistic-capture-transfer.hiplc (139.3 KB)

---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
154 posts
Hello, here is what is happening.

1.I am using muscle capture (metaballs) for the body.
2.I have added a capture layer paint node just after the weight switch.
3.I have transferred that node to the clothes with object merge and attribute transfer.
4.Then I get this message that says obj/muscle is not a valid source.
Edited by ALMINA - Jan. 17, 2017 04:55:01

Attachments:
スクリーンショット 2017-01-17 9.44.47.png (112.7 KB)
スクリーンショット 2017-01-17 9.44.23.png (182.6 KB)

154 posts
And then this is the error.

Attachments:
スクリーンショット 2017-01-17 9.45.55_00000.png (381.3 KB)

483 posts
Looks like missing SOPS…
Maybe it's easier to understand, if you send a simplified file :-?
Edited by matthias_k - Jan. 17, 2017 08:25:52
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
806 posts
Hi, Almina,

without being able to look at your file, I am clueless.
The error messages indicate that you are referencing objects that don't exist at the given path (like Matthias said). I have to admit that I am a non-noodle-type of guy, I really can't do with nodal “programming”, it takes me 10-20 times longer to understand a node-setup than seeing the same thing in the typical 2-3 lines of code.
So I don't even know *what* you are trying to attribute-transfer.

Did you have a look at the sample file I created for you? Did you understand what was going on in there? If so, I would *think* that transferring that idea to your setup should work without errors. In the end, you'd just be binding some point-deformation to the same weight as the original (body) points, straight forward.

If you don't want to provide a (simplified, readable) version of your rig, maybe you could do a screencast where you show how you set up each (important) node, including the attributes you created?

The best solution, though, would probably be if you tried to achieve your goal with a blank project, simplified geometry and rig and *understand* what you are doing, then redo it in the complex scenario of your rig. “Try to crawl before attempting a home run” …

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
154 posts
Hello, I'm trying to recreate a simple version but whether I try with muscle or bones it says “Geometry not cooked”. Do you know what this means?
483 posts
Hmmm,are you sure that your idea of muscles is the same as the Houdini idea of muscles?
You have to use geometry, not muscles, like in the given example from malbrecht.
Try using the by muscles deformed geometry :-)
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
483 posts
Not my best one… in train with a notepad…
But shows how it works, all credits to malbrecht
it's his base idea… forgotten to lock…
Edited by matthias_k - Jan. 17, 2017 14:08:54
483 posts
Deltamush added… if you like to know where to insert…
locked version
Edited by matthias_k - Jan. 17, 2017 14:09:20

Attachments:
muscles.hip (179.3 KB)

154 posts
Thank you everyone..
I am trying to make a simple version of it but is stuck and cannot make the capture node working. This is the file I am working on.

Attachments:
Rigging_Test.hiplc (98.2 KB)

154 posts
And here's a broadcast I made for the problem of attribute transfer. Sorry about the quality of the movie. I had to lower the bit rate to fit 5mb..

Attachments:
Broadcast_Transfer_Problem.mp4 (4.6 MB)

806 posts
Hi,

in your simplified version you need to adjust the capture regions (they are too small, they don't enclose the actual geometry). To do this, use “Edit Capture Region” from the Rigging-Shelf, then select one of the bones, press enter and adjust the size of the capture region using the little black arrows.

Second, do not delete the capture attribute. Go to your deform node and deselect “Delete Capture Attributes”.

That should get your simplified version running correctly - and you can take it from there

Marc

P.S. Just saw the video (well “seeing” … let's call it: I had a vague vision ). I don't see a deform node on the cloth object. Possible that I missed it, but are you sure you followed the examples above?
Edited by malbrecht - Jan. 17, 2017 16:06:31
---
Good bye.
154 posts
Okay I managed to run the simplified version correctly. Thank you malbrecht

But I can't apply it to the version with the model and clothes in it..
Maybe muscle is more difficult? I tried to understand what is going on in the muscles.hip file but still having a hard time…
Edited by ALMINA - Jan. 17, 2017 17:14:03

Attachments:
Rigging_Test.hiplc (104.9 KB)

483 posts
Maybe you have misunderstood the muscle deformer
and the capture layer paint:
http://the-final.com/houdini/Capture_Layer_Paint.mp4 [the-final.com]
now video with klicks and keyboard + better Muscle deformer attached

For muscles and rigging this (is not only old) helpy:
https://archive.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=991&Itemid=132 [archive.sidefx.com]
+
https://archive.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=554&Itemid=263 [archive.sidefx.com]
Edited by matthias_k - Jan. 17, 2017 17:49:52

Attachments:
muscles_02.hip (369.0 KB)

483 posts
For Character animation have also a look here:
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/34936/ [sidefx.com]
the great Tension Map Example from Werner Ziemerink.

And have a look at the deltamush deformer, too.

https://vimeo.com/103854005 [vimeo.com]
(not houdini, should only explain deltamush)
154 posts
Thank you matthias!!
I am trying to recreate the file but it is taking time since I need to move all the fbx files and change the renderer from render man free version to mantra.
  • Quick Links