Apprecice and render farms.

2632   3   1
72 posts
Can I use Houdini Apprentice and pay a render farm to render out my scene at 1080p? Just as I would pay for an individual with a proper license to do the same for me? I would assume the second scenario is perfectly legal as I would otherwise be paying the individual to create my entire scene, just this way I'm cutting costs for myself.

For the record this is just a simple intro I am creating for my YouTube channel and that's as far as I'll be taking Houdini in the foreseeable future. I've only just discovered Apprentice is restricted to a max resolution of 720p, and I'd rather not invest any more time only to find out I can't pay to have it rendered at 1080p. Paying the extra for an Indie license PLUS the render farm is putting way more $$$ into this than I'm wanting. Thanks.

Neil
2529 posts
I believe the license travels with the .hipnc file. So if you submit a .hipnc to a render farm you will get watermarked output.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
72 posts
Ah, nuts. So then would SideFX be fine with me trying to hire out the rendering of my file? Personally I don't see issues with that, but it seems something of a gray area…
2529 posts
I doubt it, no one can legally render your file without violating a license agreement. How much are you going to pay them anyway? Just pay SideFX $200.00 bucks for an Indie license and you can render watermark free for a year, locally or on a renderfarm.
Edited by Enivob - Jan. 18, 2017 09:27:54
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links