export particles to maya

16868   5   3
1 posts
hi
can someone load a simple tutorial how to export particles from houdini to maya?
i can't get it to work. not Alembic nor to Engine.
thanks
Staff
2540 posts
Was playing around with this the other day with some users as they were asking the same thing wrt Alembic as that would make a decent vehicle to transport particles, because it does support this.

Tests with Alembic using Maya2015(6) and Houdini14.0:

Works: export alembic particles from Houdini to Houdini
Works: export alembic particles from Maya to Houdini
Doesn't work: export alembic particles from Maya to Maya

Please perform the same tests. If you get the same results, log a bug with the Autodesk team.

If not, please let us know.
There's at least one school like the old school!
818 posts
Yeah, as Jeff said, Maya's Alembic support doesn't fully import particles. It can only import one static frame of particles/points. :?

You could use Houdini Engine to help importing the particles. The easiest way is probably to:
1. export bgeo files from Houdini
2. make an asset that contains only a file SOP
3. load the file sop asset into Maya, and use the asset to load the Houdini bgeo files
Andrew / アンドリュー
Staff
2540 posts
A good use case for engine!
There's at least one school like the old school!
17 posts
Hi,
In addition to:

awong
You could use Houdini Engine to help importing the particles. The easiest way is probably to:
1. export bgeo files from Houdini
2. make an asset that contains only a file SOP
3. load the file sop asset into Maya, and use the asset to load the Houdini bgeo files

Im trying to make nCache from created nParticle node. After attaching it to new nParticle node positions looks ok, even some custom renderman attributes, but I can't get particles size to work. When loaded through engine pscale works, but after caching connection seems to broken. In cache .xml there is a line
<channel12 ChannelName=“output1_0Shape_radiusPP” ChannelType=“DoubleArray” ChannelInterpretation=“radiusPP” SamplingType=“Regular” SamplingRate=“240” StartTime=“36000” EndTime=“55200”/>
so I'm guessing, that its exported correctly, but do you know how can it be recognized again?

Im using maya 2015 and houdini 14 (quite old, I know, but that's what i have).
Edited by skoora - Jan. 26, 2017 06:03:40
17 posts
Ok, just figured out, that it's nCache problem - just need to create every attribute that I want to be connected before attaching nCache.
  • Quick Links