Houdini 16

130593   223   14
517 posts
Yeah I'm not sure hanging to see the new ui features but they are too messed up as is.
603 posts
-heavy-
arctor
we have a recording right from the source, it's being make available as I type this…

the recording on the sesi site is not from the source right ? it seems not glitch free..
i am so excited i really need to see the glitchfree Version

They may adding more preview features to the H16 sneak peak, because, it doesnt take 24hours to encode 2 hours of video.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
636 posts
Daryl Dunlap
They may adding more preview features to the H16 sneak peak, because, it doesnt take 24hours to encode 2 hours of video.

or the file is not clean and the encoder false all the time. had that some years ago….
or they have seen in the footage too much of drunken SESI members they had to be cutted out….
or they optimize the cut….

so on the end we have to wait till the new video is up
91 posts
“Unfortunately we didn't have time to get the shader preview working as smoothly/quickly as we wanted, so we decided it was best to just leave it out for now. COPs are currently the only nodes that can support previews.”

when you say “just leave it out for now.” does that mean it will be in <16> on February 21 or much longer down the road , I was very much looking forward to that feature. Can we have some clarification when it will be in please.
Staff
635 posts
gfxfx
“Unfortunately we didn't have time to get the shader preview working as smoothly/quickly as we wanted, so we decided it was best to just leave it out for now. COPs are currently the only nodes that can support previews.”

when you say “just leave it out for now.” does that mean it will be in <16> on February 21 or much longer down the road , I was very much looking forward to that feature. Can we have some clarification when it will be in please.

Longer than Feb 21 – most likely H16.5, but please don't hold us to it. There's a lot of non-trivial work required for the performance of the thumbnails to be where it should be.

We are very much looking forward to that feature too, and bemoan its withdrawal from H16.

Cristin
Edited by cb - Feb. 8, 2017 16:12:16
91 posts
Thank you Cristin for the Info, I really appreciate your honest answer.
Edited by gfxfx - Feb. 9, 2017 08:01:21
246 posts
No new video yet?
250 posts
stu
No new video yet?
I was wondering the same thing!
1 posts
Hey guys,

What an amazing set of new tools. I am psyched to get my hands on these. I was wondering though - with the extended use of OpenCL in H16, will there also be support for multiple GPU's ?

(For us who invested in a trashcan Mac Pro with dual FirePro cards)

Thanks!
250 posts
The live stream video is up on GoProcedural!

https://vimeo.com/203373373 [vimeo.com]
Edited by GCharb - Feb. 9, 2017 20:58:31
15 posts
Just finished the presentation, man you guys really brought your A game to the table!! Can't wait to dig into H16. Amarok is clearly a beast of a release, aptly named.

The cherry on top would be some killer training to coincide with the release. I recall John Moncrief mentioning a new focus on Houdini over at pluralsight. Or maybe some webinars hint hint

Either way I'm stoked. And thanks for posting the video. Even better the second time thru without the glitches.

cheers
517 posts
3dnv
Or maybe some webinars hint hint
Yes! That would be awesome. Personally I'd love to see one on CHOPs, maybe including some of the new constraint stuff the touched on.
Edited by peteski - Feb. 9, 2017 23:32:42
Staff
92 posts
Hey all, the non-skippy video can be found on Vimeo here: http://sidefx.co/2lxti9p [sidefx.co]
19 posts
I'm so excited for this release! I was a bit worried at first to see all the little teases of the interface but man it looks awesome!!! I just have one question, the rigging is jaw dropping but is there anything in there for facial rigging!!? the auto-rigging just looks like it only is for the main body parts. is there a way to add bones to the auto rig or is it still something that you'd have to build from the ground up?

Thanks!! I'm excited for our company to officially switch!!

Rob
250 posts
midicon
I'm so excited for this release! I was a bit worried at first to see all the little teases of the interface but man it looks awesome!!! I just have one question, the rigging is jaw dropping but is there anything in there for facial rigging!!? the auto-rigging just looks like it only is for the main body parts. is there a way to add bones to the auto rig or is it still something that you'd have to build from the ground up?

Thanks!! I'm excited for our company to officially switch!!

Rob
I am also interested to hear about this, a good facial bone rig would go a long way in easing the rigging process, several of those out there, it would make the auto rig-much more usable, maybe in a future release?

Blender has 3 auto-rigs with facial tools that I know of, blenrig 5, rigify pitchipoy and auto-rig pro, all of these are free and open source.

All this said, the 16 rigging tools made my jaw drop, literately, looked like a fool for a minute I am sure, awesome job on these tools.
Edited by GCharb - Feb. 10, 2017 11:08:49
4 posts
Please tell me H16 supports the 3DConnexion Space Mouse.. Please tell me this!
7708 posts
KunaniGaming
Please tell me H16 supports the 3DConnexion Space Mouse.. Please tell me this!
Yes
757 posts
Boolean shatter from H16 can't that be re-created similar in 15.x ?

The modeling tools are a step in the right direction but as mentioned in the webinar SideFX will improve it at each iteration of the software; although maybe we will see custom modeling tools surface between now and the next update to Houdini.

The new shader system is very good although, you can call me 'old' I'm going to learn the current shading system in H15 first

Also can you do OSL testing / previewing developing ?

Is there an addendum for what things have been changed added or removed from H15.x to H16 ? Also was there an addendum for H14.x to H15 and H15 to H15.5 ?
【T】【C】【S】
8506 posts
Christopher_R
Boolean shatter from H16 can't that be re-created similar in 15.x ?
I dare you to try, haha
if it's any help there is a Break SOP (Cookie based), which is kind of similar thing, but it breaks all the time with more complex geo (pun intended)
VDB Fracture is stable, but doesn't keep the initial topology
so no, can't be recreated reliably in H15.x unless you write your own in HDK
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
15 posts
8 days till H16 drops……. any hopes of seeing some vids from:

…the Houdini Educational Sessions and a Panel discussion at The VFX Festival(hosted by Escape Studios)

Any part or all 7 of those sessions would be something I'd love to see.

I know Christian mentioned some masterclasses and tutorials coming when H16 is released but I was hoping some of those session may have been recorded.

thanks
  • Quick Links